Near Crowell in Foard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Pease City
Second group of settlers was family of W.T. Dunn.
Stone post office–trading post served 3,500 square miles of sparsely settled country. Mail delivery was by stage or horse.
The post office was abolished 1885 when Margaret became seat of Hardeman County. In 1891 site of old Pease City and Margaret became part of Foard County.
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4856.)
Location. 34° 3.698′ N, 99° 43.492′ W. Marker is near Crowell, Texas, in Foard County. Marker is on Texas Route 6 0.4 miles north of Farm to Market Road 3103, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crowell TX 79227, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Foard County (approx. 2.4 miles away); Quanah Parker and the Comanches (approx. 5.2 miles away); Robert L. Foard (approx. 5.4 Foard Co (approx. 5.4 miles away); Foard County Courthouse (approx. 5.4 miles away); First Officials of Foard County (approx. 5.4 miles away); Pease River Battlefield (approx. 5.5 miles away); Medicine Mound Community (approx. 11.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Crowell.
Categories. • Communications • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.