Trenton in Gibson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Fighting for Trenton
Riﬂing the Courthouse
—Forrest’s First West Tennessee Raid —
Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest led his cavalry brigade on a raid through West Tennessee, Dec. 15, 1862 - Jan. 3, 1863, destroying railroads an severing Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's supply line between Columbus, Kentucky and Vicksburg, Mississippi. Forrest crossed the Tennessee River at Clifton, defeated Union Col. Robert C. Ingersoll's cavalry at Lexington, captured Trenton and Union City, and ranged briefly into Kentucky. He raided back through Tennessee, evaded defeat at Parker's Cross Roads, and crossed the river again at Clifton. Grant changed his supply base to Memphis.
Confederate Gen. Nathan B. Forrest's cavalry brigade captured Trenton, an important stop on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, on December 20, 1862. He and his men occupied the town briefly before riding on toward Union City the next day. Forrest's aide, Capt. Charles W. Anderson, allegedly entered the Gibson County courthouse here, gathered the bonds and oaths of allegiance to the United States that Trenton residents had signed, piled them in the yard, and set them afire.
Corp. William H.H. Ibbetson, of Co. D, 122nd Illinois Infantry, described the war's effects on the town. He arrived in Trenton with his regiment on October 9, 1862. The unit had ridden in boxcars used for transporting cattle by rail to Corinth, Mississippi. In his
The Russell-Hill Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy, erected the Confederate monument in 1907.
The current Gibson County courthouse was completed in 1899. It is the fourth courthouse to be constructed on this site. A log building was completed in 1825, a brick structure replaced it in 1829, and another brick courthouse was built between 1839 and 1841. It survived the Civil War and stood until this courthouse was constructed.
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 35° 58.855′ N, 88° 56.488′ W. Marker is in Trenton, Tennessee, in Gibson County. Marker is at the intersection of Eaton Street (Tennessee Route 104, 77) and College Street (U.S. 45), on the left when traveling east on Eaton Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton TN 38382, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Gibson County Confederate Memorial (here, next to this marker); Gibson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); David Crockett (within shouting distance of this marker); Female Collegiate Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fighting for Trenton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Forrest at Trenton (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fighting for Trenton (approx. ¾ mile away); C.S.A. Camp Trenton (approx. 3.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Trenton.
Also see . . . The Battle of Trenton. (Submitted on June 20, 2014.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.