Uhrichsville in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Uhrich's Mill 1806 / Clay Capital 1833-1980s
Uhrich's Mill 1806
Michael Uhrich, Sr. founded Uhrich's Mill on this site in 1806. Uhrich emigrated from Pennsylvania in 1804 and became one of the first County Commissioners upon the formation of Tuscarawas County in February 1808. In 1833, the same year Mill Township was organized, Michael Uhrich, Jr. platted the town named Waterford, which became Uhrichsville approximately six years later. During the Ohio-Erie Canal period, Uhrich's Mill - consisting of four wheels (one for sawing wood, one for wheat, and two for grinding corn) - became the focal point for nearly all grain produced in the Stillwater Valley and shipped to Cleveland markets via the canal.
Clay Capital 1833-1980s
Clay, one of Tuscarawas County's vast natural resources, led to the eventual formation of more than 30 clay plants throughout the county. Many products came from this natural and abundant resource, including brick, flue liners, and sewer pipes. During the heyday of the industry, the clay plants produced nearly one-fourth of Ohio's clay products. The decline of the sewer pipe industry began with the advent of the wide use of plastic pipe. To celebrate this heritage, Uhrichsville and Dennison citizens held the National Clay Week Festival from the late 1940s until 2001.
Location. 40° 23.184′ N, 81° 20.832′ W. Marker is in Uhrichsville, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker is on Newport Avenue 0.1 miles south of Trenton Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Uhrichsville OH 44683, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dennison Railway Chapel / The Manse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dennison Yard and Shops / Dennison Depot (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dennison High School (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Ohio & Erie Canal in Warwick Township (approx. 3.2 miles away); Gnadenhutten / The Gnadenhutten Massacre, "A Day of Shame" (approx. 5.1 miles away); Schoenbrunn Schoolhouse 1772 / Schoenbrunn Church 1772 (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Seven Ranges (approx. 7.2 miles away); Tappan (approx. 7.7 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.