Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kenosha in Kenosha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse

 
 
Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Nicholls, February 18, 2008
1. Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse Marker
Inscription. Built by the federal government in 1866, the Kenosha Lighthouse replaces two other lighthouses constructed at this site in 1848 and 1858. Originally designated a coast and harbor light for Southport, now Kenosha, WI provided the first navigational illumination a mariner would see upon entering Wisconsin from the Chicago area. Standing 55 feet tall and situated on a hill, the lighthouse projected light from 74 feet above lake level. The tower is built of yellow Milwaukee Cream City brick and is conical in shape. Originally the lighhouse contained a fourth order Fresnel lensfueld by kerosene with a fixed-white light which varied by flashes. Officially discontinued in 1906, the lantern room was later removed and replaced by a 25-foot tripod mast for displaying storm warning flags and lights. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990, the lighthouse has been restored and holds an automated electric light.
 
Erected 2000 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 437.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 42° 35.377′ N, 87° 48.969′ W. Marker is in Kenosha, Wisconsin, in Kenosha County. Marker is on Lighthouse
Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Nicholls, February 18, 2008
2. Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse and Marker
Drive, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5117 4th Avenue, Kenosha WI 53140, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Simmons Island Park (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Southport-Kenosha (about 600 feet away); Simmon's [sic] Island Beach House (about 700 feet away); Remember Pearl Harbor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Naval Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The United States Marine Corps (approx. 0.2 miles away); Operations Desert Shield / Storm Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kenosha.
 
Also see . . .  Southport Light Station. Kenosha History Center website. (Submitted on June 6, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., February 18, 2008
3. Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse and Marker
Kenosha Light Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 7, 2013
4. Kenosha Light Station Marker
City of Kenosha Landmark #77
On Light Keeper's House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,316 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement