Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Lory, Gallo Hotel & Astor House

No. 5

 

—Historic Main Street -Jackson —

 
Lory, Gallo Hotel & Astor House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2015
1. Lory, Gallo Hotel & Astor House Marker
Inscription.
Wine titan Ernesto Gallo born here.
Site of McKim's log Astor House.

1878, c1851

 
Erected by Jackson Business & Community Association. (Marker Number 5.)
 
Location. 38° 20.908′ N, 120° 46.431′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21-27 North Main Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Webb Building & Old Livery Stable (a few steps from this marker); Hangman's Tree (a few steps from this marker); Tellier's St. Louis Saloon (a few steps from this marker); Adam's Express Agency (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Bakery, Early Amador Dispatch (within shouting distance of this marker); M Harris Clothing Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Wells Fargo & Co. Express and Banking Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Hotel & Odd Fellows Hall Lodge #36 (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
 
Regarding Lory, Gallo Hotel & Astor House. From the "Walking Main Street
Lory, Gallo Hotel & Astor House image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2015
2. Lory, Gallo Hotel & Astor House
This marker is on the extreme right of the building.
Jackson" tour brochure: This is a rare two-story building with a wood story atop a brick one. One of the titans of the modern wine industry, the late Ernesto Gallo, was born in this building in 1909. Merchant Richard Lory built the first story in 1878, and added a second a year later. The town's historic Astor House once stood here in the early 1850s. First Methodist-Episcopal minister Isaac Fish preached sermons here before the first church was finished in 1853. Jackson's first major fire swept this side of Main in 1855, destroying a half dozen buildings, brick or frame.
 
Also see . . .  "Walking Main Street Jackson" Tour Brochure. This is in PDF format. (Submitted on March 19, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement