Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Miners Restaurant & Exchange

No. 13

 

—Historic Main Street -Jackson —

 
Miners Restaurant & Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2015
1. Miners Restaurant & Exchange Marker
Inscription.
Two-story brick building
after 1862 fire;
late 1890's sausage factory

1863

 
Erected by Jackson Business & Community Association. (Marker Number 13.)
 
Location. 38° 20.958′ N, 120° 46.46′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 126-128 North Main Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sanguinetti Building (a few steps from this marker); Stampfly's Tent, Republic House (a few steps from this marker); Weller Hardware, Pioneer Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Levy & Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); - Jackson - (within shouting distance of this marker); Steckler's Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Brumel's Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
 
Regarding Miners Restaurant & Exchange. From the "Walking Main Street Jackson" tour brochure: Wooden stores stood here in the early 1850s.
Miners Restaurant & Exchange Building image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2015
2. Miners Restaurant & Exchange Building
Frenchmen had a bowling alley before 1857. It was Miner's Restaurant & Exchange when the 1862 fire roared through. Merchants named S. Brandt and Witte erected this two-story brick classical revival in 1863. Renovated and refitted in 1873, it housed a sausage factory in 1898 and a shoe store in the 1980s. The first story facade was remodeled, maybe around 1925.

 
Also see . . .  "Walking Main Street Jackson" Tour Brochure. This is in PDF format. (Submitted on March 19, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 154 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement