Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Carnegie Library
This Carnegie Library was built in 1918 with funds from the Carnegie Corporation. It is one of the 1,946 Carnegie Libraries built in the United States under the direction of Andrew Carnegie, a Scottish immigrant who rose from millhand to steel magnate.
First efforts to obtain funds from the Carnegie Corporation for the construction of a public library in Bradenton began about 1906 but were unsuccessful. Again in 1914, the need for a larger library building became serious and in May, 1915, the Carnegie Corporation was again approached for a grant. After almost three years of negotiations, the Carnegie Corporation granted $10,000 for the construction of the original part of the building. The City of Bradenton agreed to provide property and the annual operating expenses. On October 12, 1918, the building was dedicated and opened to the public.
The building was constructed of buff colored brick, rock granite and native stone. Its classical design, which includes doric columns,Is in the style typical of Carnegie Libraries.
The building now houses the Historical Records Library, the first county archival library of its kind in the State of Florida. The Historical Records Library was created in 1978 in an effort to preserve and house original records of Manatee County which date back to the countyís formation in 1855. The building was restored with the use of funds from the Clerk of the Circuit Court and a $24,000 grant from the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners. The property is still owned by the City Of Bradenton, but is leased back to the Manatee County Clerk of the Circuit Court.
In Co-operation with the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners 1986
Erected 1986 by Manatee County Historical Commission.
Location. 27° 29.783′ N, 82° 34.542′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of 15th Street West and 4th Avenue West, on the right when traveling north on 15th Street West. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1404 4th Street West, Bradenton FL 34205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bealls Centennial (about 800 feet away); Florida Highway Patrol School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courthouse Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); 9th Avenue West Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Bradenton Depot (approx. half a mile away); Major Adams Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bradenton.
Regarding The Carnegie Library. There are 2 additional markers on the library building itself.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.