Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Stampfly's Tent, Republic House

No. 14

 

—Historic Main Street -Jackson —

 
Stampfly's Tent, Republic House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2015
1. Stampfly's Tent, Republic House Marker
Inscription.
First two floors built in 1858
Survived 1862 fire.
Globe Hotel from 1870's

1851, 1858

 
Erected by Jackson Business & Community Association. (Marker Number 14.)
 
Location. 38° 20.947′ N, 120° 46.454′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Court Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114-118 North Main Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer Hall (here, next to this marker); Weller Hardware, Pioneer Hall (a few steps from this marker); Levy & Co. (a few steps from this marker); - Jackson - (a few steps from this marker); Steckler's Building (a few steps from this marker); Brumel's Building (a few steps from this marker); Miners Restaurant & Exchange (a few steps from this marker); S. Harris Clothing Store (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
 
Regarding Stampfly's Tent, Republic House. From the "Walking Main Street Jackson" tour brochure: No longer a hotel, the first
Stampfly's Tent, Republic House Building image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2015
2. Stampfly's Tent, Republic House Building
two stories of this brick building date from 1858. Owner Pat Dwyer added the third story in 1896. A vintage photo (c. 1880) shows the two-story hotel with covered balconies on the front and southerly side walls. Perhaps the site's first use was for Stampfly's tent in 1851-1856. It was renamed Panama House, then Republic House by 1858 and the Globe by 1872. Though totally gutted, the two-story hotel survived the 1862 fire.

 
Also see . . .  "Walking Main Street Jackson" Tour Brochure. This is in PDF format. (Submitted on March 19, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement