Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Dr. Sharp's Drug, Ginocchio's Store

No. 21

 

—Historic Main Street -Jackson —

 
Dr. Sharp's Drug Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 26, 2014
1. Dr. Sharp's Drug Marker
Inscription.
Among city’s oldest brick stores.
Main Mercantile store for decades

1856, c1870 - 1950

 
Erected by Jackson Business & Community Association. (Marker Number 21.)
 
Location. 38° 20.899′ N, 120° 46.405′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Water Street, on the left when traveling south on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Main Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wells Fargo Building (here, next to this marker); Union Hotel & Odd Fellows Hall Lodge #36 (here, next to this marker); Wells Fargo & Co. Express and Banking Office (here, next to this marker); Rocca's Hall, Theatre, Arena (a few steps from this marker); Site of 1852 Louisiana House (a few steps from this marker); The Louisiana House (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Hall & Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Webb Building & Old Livery Stable (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
 
Regarding Dr. Sharp's Drug, Ginocchio's Store.
Dr. Sharp's Drug image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 26, 2014
2. Dr. Sharp's Drug
Marker is visible between the window and the lamp post.
The larger plaque is the Wells Fargo Building Marker.
From the Jackson Plaques Walking Tour brochure: This elongated brick building fronting both Main and Water Streets is another survivor of the 1862 fire. Dr. Sharp built and opened a new brick drug store there in 1856. In 1857 Wells, Fargo & Co. briefly rented space - probably why it was called the Wells Fargo Club and Restaurant from about 1950 on. The next section or two of brickwork on the Water Street side marks the Italian market lot, from Courassi’s store in 1851, to E. Bruno & Co. and eventually Ginocchio’s. The latter firm occupied the whole building when it dissolved around 1950.
 
Also see . . .  Jackson Plaques Walking Tour Brochure. This is in PDF format. (Submitted on March 3, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Wells Fargo Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 26, 2014
3. The Wells Fargo Building Marker
See nearby marker for details.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on , by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement