Paris in Henry County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Henry County Courthouse / Henry County
Henry County Courthouse
This Courthouse was designed by Reuben Harrison Hunt of Chattanooga and built by Ed M. Wallen of New Decatur, Alabama, in 1896. It is the third courthouse on this site and is one of West Tennessee's oldest working Courthouses. The murder case Grainger v. State (1830) originated on this site and set precedent for self - defense as a basis for appeal. Confederate military units, including the "Paris Blues," 5th Tennessee Infantry and 46th Tennessee Infantry regiments, were organized on the lawn.
Henry County, named for Revolutionary War patriot Patrick Henry, was created on November 7, 1821 from lands that were part of the Jackson Purchase from the Chickasaws in 1818. Andrew Jackson was a member of the commission that negotiated this treaty. Henry County sent more than 2500 volunteers to the Confederate Armies, and claims the title "Volunteer County of the Volunteer State."
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4A 52.)
Location. 36° 18.125′ N, 88° 19.531′ W. Marker is in Paris, Tennessee, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of Wood Street (U.S. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 North Poplar Street, Paris TN 38242, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Paris (approx. 1.5 miles away); Camp Tyson (approx. 6 miles away); Clear Lake (approx. 14.3 miles away); Webb School (approx. 14.6 miles away); Harris-Collier-Holland Farm (approx. 14.9 miles away); Bethel College (approx. 15.6 miles away); James Monroe McKenzie (approx. 15.9 miles away); McKenzie's Station (approx. 15.9 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.