Melrose in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The region south of Santa Fe Lake was not settled until after the Seminole War in 1842, although it was on the Spanish mission trail from St. Augustine from about 1600 to 1763 and, during the English (1763-1784) and second Spanish (1784-1821) periods, on the overland route to Pensacola. Florida's first Federal highway, the 1826 Bellamy road, followed about the same path. Many of the early landowners came from South Carolina and Georgia. After the decade of Reconstruction following the Civil War, an influx of new families came to the region, many to engage in planting orange groves, a few of which had been started in the 1850's. Because the route of the Florida Railroad, completed in 1861 and reorganized after the War, passed west of the region, the Santa Fe Canal Company was chartered in March of 1877 to open a waterway from the railroad in Waldo through Lake Alto to Santa Fe Lake. In May of 1877 Alexander Goodson, Isaac Weston, and Meridth Granger, platted a 30-block town site south of the little bay on the southeast side of Santa Fe Lake. The old Bellamy Road was the main east-west axis, with Centre Street, straddling the Alachua, Putnam, and Clay county border, as the north-south axis. The origin of the town name,
Melrose, is shrouded in conflicting legends. The canal linking
Erected 1990 by The Alachua County Historical Commission in Cooperation with the Florida Department of State.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 29° 42.58′ N, 82° 3.162′ W. Marker was in Melrose Click for map. Located between between Quail & Trout Streets. Marker was in this post office area: Melrose FL 32666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Earleton, Florida (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Bellamy Road (approx. 4.9 miles away); Hawthorne (approx. 8.2 miles away); Waldo (approx. 8.9 miles away); Dickison and His Men / Jefferson Davis' Baggage (approx. 8.9 miles away); For All Who Served (approx. 8.9 miles away); Lincoln Lane Schoolhouse (approx. 11.5 miles away); Turpentine Industry Community and Family (approx. 12.2 miles away).
More about this marker. Was not able to locate this marker on a visit today.
Regarding Melrose. Melrose Platted in 1877 and once called Banana, the town thrived with the opening of Sante Fe Canal, connecting the town with Waldo. Melrose became a tourist center, with many hotels and winter residents during the 1880s and a shipping center for citrus and vegetables. The freezes of the 1890s destroyed both the citrus industry and tourism, but the city's
fine homes survived and today Melrose features scores of older restored homes and a historic district.
National Register of Historic
Melrose Historic District (added 1990 - District - #89002305) •
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering •
Architect, builder, or engineer: Multiple •
Architectural Style: Greek Revival, Late Victorian, Other •
Area of Significance: Architecture, Exploration/Settlement •
Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949 •
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic •
Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling, Specialty Store •
Current Function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic •
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 812 times since then and 92 times this year. Last updated on , by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.