Shelby in Orleans County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Occupied in 14th century
by Neuter Indians.
Only double palisaded fort
in New York State.
Destroyed by Iroquois 1650.
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 43° 10.956′ N, 78° 26.042′ W. Marker is in Shelby, New York, in Orleans County. Marker is on Salt Works Road (County Route 398) half a mile south of Blair Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is just south of Jeddo Creek. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4756 Salt Works Road, Medina NY 14103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Asher Freeman (approx. 2.3 miles away); 1833 Servoss-Hagood House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Charles Stielow (approx. 2.5 miles away); Early Home (approx. 2.7 miles away); Early Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Dedicated to All Military Veterans (approx. 3 miles away); Circus Pioneer (approx. 3.1 miles away); D.A.A. Buck Home (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Erie Moundbuilders - Location. Includes information about the Neuter Indians. (Submitted on March 29, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.