Lachine in Montréal (region), Quebec — French Canadian Region
The Lachine Canal
Le Canal de Lachine
The Lachine Canal, built between 1821 and 1825 and enlarged in the 1840s and 1870s, was the first in a network of canals on the St. Lawrence River that linked the Atlantic to the Great Lakes. A symbol of the modernization of transportation, the canal played a decisive role in Montréal’s industrial and commercial development, notably as a source of hydraulic power, The highly diversified character of the canal’s shore area, which became one of the country’s foremost manufacturing centres, reflects the various stages in Canada’s industrialization.
Creusé entre 1821 et 1825, puis élargi dans les années 1849 et 1879, le canal de Lachine a constitué la tête d’un réseau de canaux sur le fleuve Saint-Laurent reliant l’Atlantique aux Grands Lacs. Témoin de la modernisation des transports, il a joué un rôle déterminant dans le développement industriel et commercial de Montréal, notamment comme source d’énergie hydraulique. Sur ses berges se trouvait l’une des principales concentrations manufacturières du pays, exemple manifeste d’une exceptionnelle diversité qui illustre bien les phases multiples de l’industrialisation au Canada.
Erected 2002 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Boulevard Saint-Joseph, Lachine, Quebec H8S 2M3, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Wonderful New Addition (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); An Upstream Battle (about 120 meters away); Full Steam Ahead (about 120 meters away); Growing With the Times (about 120 meters away); Frances Anne Hopkins (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Hudson’s Bay Company in Lachine (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Lachine: Gateway to the Northwest (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Lachine Massacre (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Lachine.
More about this marker. This marker is in Monk (Island) Park.
Also see . . . The Lachine Canal and its Industrial Corridor -Encyclopedia of French Cultural Heritage in North Am. The Lachine Canal was open for navigation for nearly 150 years (1825-1970). Closed to commercial navigation in 1970, it was reopened to pleasure boating in 2002. In the meantime, it was the focus of various development projects. The first renovation (Submitted on April 2, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 5. submitted on . • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.