Coteau-du-lac in Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM, Quebec — French Canadian Region
From 1778 until the mid-19th century Coteau-du-Lac was the site of a British military post which defended the passage and facilitated the transportation of supplies along the St. Lawrence. It was of strategic importance to the defence of Canada during the American Revolution and during the War of 1812 when its fortifications were added to strengthen its position. In addition to the supply depot and fort, one of the earliest locks in North America was constructed here in 1779-80 on a canal which was in continual use until it was superseded by the Beauharnois Canal in the 1840s.
De 1778 jusqu'au milieu de 19ième siècle, Coteau-du-Lac fut le site d'un poste militaire britannique qui défendait le couloir et facilitait le transport des marchandises sur le fleuve St-Laurent. Il fut un point stratégique pendant la Révolution américaine et pendant la Guerre de 1812, alors qu'on le fortifia pour améliorer sa position. En plus d'être un dépôt d'approvisionnement et un fort, Coteau-du-Lac fut le site d'un des plus anciens canaux à écluses en Amérique du Nord. Construit en 1779-1780, ce canal a été utilisé jusqu'au moment où il fut remplacé par le canal Beauharnois, au cours des années 1840.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission
Location. 45° 17.25′ N, 74° 10.662′ W. Marker is in Coteau-du-lac, Quebec, in Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM. Marker can be reached from Chemin du Fleuve just from Rue du Fort, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 Chemin du Fleuve, Coteau-du-lac, Quebec J0P 1B0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The War of 1812 - 1814 (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Inhabitants (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Changes in the landscape (about 90 meters away); The first lock canal in North America (about 120 meters away); North blockhouse / Le blockhaus nord (about 120 meters away); Why a canal at Coteau-du-Lac? (about 120 meters away); A supply centre / Un poste de ravitaillement (about 120 meters away); The construction of the canal (about 120 meters away).
More about this marker. This marker is located at the Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site visitors centre.
Also see . . . The First Lock Canal in North America - Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site. The Coteau-du-Lac canal went into full use from the moment it opened; a toll was even (Submitted on April 6, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.