“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Knoxville in Knox County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Old Gray Cemetery

Silent Voices

Old Gray Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 29, 2013
1. Old Gray Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Since the Civil War, the thirteen-acre Old Gray Cemetery has been the final resting place for Union and Confederate veterans. During the conflict, control of Knoxville shifted from Confederate to Union forces, so it is appropriate that both sides are represented here. The cemetery was established in 1850 and reflects the Rural Cemetery Movement that swept the urban South in the decade before the war.

There are no political divisions within Old Gray. Tennessee’s Reconstruction era governor William G. “Parson” Brownlow (1805–77) lies buried just across the way from Henry M. Ashby (1836–68), one of the Confederacy’s youngest colonels. William Richard Casewell (1809-1862), a brigadier general in the Provisional Army of Tennessee, was murdered at his Knox County home in 1862. U.S. Congressman Leonidas C. Houk (1836-91) organized the 1st Tennessee Infantry (USA), while U.S. Congressman Horace Maynard (1814-82) was one of the leaders of the 1861 Unionist Convention at Greenville. Ellen Renshaw House Fletcher (1841-1907) called herself “a very violent rebel” and kept an invaluable diary of life in Knoxville during the Civil War. The Horne Monument features an almost life sized sculpture of a Confederate soldier to mark the graves of William A. Horne (1845-91) and his brother John F. Horne (1843—1906).

Old Gray Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 29, 2013
2. Old Gray Cemetery Marker
cavalrymen known as Gen. George Stoneman’s “Cossacks,” members of the “The Immortal Six Hundred” (see sidebar), Confederate nurse Jennie Gammon (shot during the Battle of Fort Sanders), and Union caregiver Maggie S. P. Haynes (matron of the Union army’s Asylum General Hospital)—Unionists and Confederates alike are now peacefully at rest here.

“Next day we moved our camp to a grove opposite the Gray Cemetery.... We had a beautiful situation here for a camp, in a pine and cedar grove, the ground softly carpeted with pine straw.... While here we increased our battery to four guns.... For a few weeks we had a hard time of it drilling new recruits. I got sick of giving the command, “Load by detail, Load!.” — Sgt. Samuel Bell Palmer, Mabry’s Artillery (CSA), Sept. 1862.

“The Immortal Six Hundred” is the name given to that number of Confederate officers confined on Morris Island near Charleston, S.C. In Oct. 1864, they were positioned in the line of fire from Confederate guns at Fort Sumter, in retaliation for the exposure of six hundred Union officers imprisoned in Charleston to Federal artillery fire. The standoff soon ended when a yellow fever epidemic forced Confederate authorities to remove the Federal prisoners from the city.

Old Gray Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 29, 2013
3. Old Gray Cemetery Marker
Office at the entrance to the cemetery. Note the plaque to the left side
G. Brownlow Courtesy McClung Historical Collection
Henry M. Ashby Courtesy McClung Historical Collection
Samuel B. Palmer drawing - Courtesy McClung Historical Collection
Erected 2009 by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 58.434′ N, 83° 55.452′ W. Marker is in Knoxville, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Broadway (U.S. 441) and Emory Place, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 543 North Broadway, Knoxville TN 37917, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Old Gray Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); The Southern Railway Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Vinnies Italian Restaurant (approx. 0.4 miles away); Market House Bell (approx. 0.7 miles away); Knoxville's Market House (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. one mile away); Old Knox County Courthouse (approx. one mile away); Treaty of the Holston (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Knoxville.
Also see . . .
Old Gray Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 29, 2013
4. Old Gray Cemetery Marker
This marker is affixed to the wall of the cemetery office
 Old Gray Cemetery. (Submitted on October 21, 2013.)
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil
Old Gray Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 29, 2013
5. Old Gray Cemetery Marker
Entrance to the Gray Cemetery
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 78 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement