“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenback in Loudon County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

National Campground

Bivouac of Reconciliation

National Campground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 28, 2013
1. National Campground Marker
Inscription. In November 1863, Confederate Gen. James Longstreet besieged Knoxville and Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside’s force there. Late in the month, after the Federal victory at Chattanooga, Gen. William T. Sherman led his corps north through largely Unionist Loudon County to Knoxville to relieve the siege. Sherman’s men bivouacked at several places in the county, transforming the countryside into an armed camp.

After the war, a camp of a different sort was created. In 1873, R. Peter Hughes sold land here for use as a campground for religious services. According to the campground’s records, “A few well disposed Christian men conceived the idea of a great meeting to promote the cause of our Great Redeemer and unite the different denominations in Christian fellowship, and to allay the feuds engendered by the late national difficulties.” Some of the trustees had been Confederates, others Unionists, but they set aside those loyalties to overcome the war’s bitterness and urged others here to do the same.

Originally called Union Campmeeting, the property later was named National Campground. The first meetings were held in a tent. In 1874 the Tabernacle Shed was constructed from timber donated by neighboring farmers. It still stands, appearing as it did then, just beyond the trees to your left. It is the only surviving
National Campground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 28, 2013
2. National Campground Marker
original building. Thousands of people came by horse and wagon, some staying for the full two weeks of round-the-clock services. Meetings have been held annually since 1873, and today September services are held nightly on five consecutive evenings. The National Campground was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

Preacher's House - Courtesy Greenback Historical Society
National Campground meeting, 1908 - Courtesy Greenback Historical Society
Boarding House - Courtesy Greenback Historical Society
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 41.25′ N, 84° 13.302′ W. Marker is in Greenback, Tennessee, in Loudon County. Marker is on King Road 0.3 miles south of National Campground Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1849 King Road, Greenback TN 37742, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morganton Crossing (approx. 3.1 miles away); Fort Loudon (approx. 6.3 miles away); Welcome to Fort Loudoun State Historic Area
Tabernacle Shed image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 28, 2013
3. Tabernacle Shed
(approx. 6.4 miles away); Unicoi Turnpike Trail (approx. 6.4 miles away); Fort Loudoun (approx. 6.4 miles away); Sam Houston American Giant Homesite (approx. 6.6 miles away); Cherokee Villages (approx. 6.7 miles away); Sequoyah (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 81 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement