Philadelphia in Loudon County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Battle of Philadelphia
Bivouac of Reconciliation
On October 20, 1863, two Confederate cavalry brigades approached Philadelphia. Col. George Dibrell and his troops came from the south, and Col. John J. Morrison's brigade moved in from the west. Dibrell's brigade was to distract the Federals while Morrison's brigade attacked from the north. Unaware of the Confederate movements, however, Wolford had sent wagons westward for supplies. Morrison's men captured the wagons, sent them south and continued his advance. Wolford knew a fight was on when he heard firing to the west during the attack on the wagon train. He dispatched almost half his troops to recover the wagons.
Morrison's assault on the Union position, which according to local tradition was on Federal Hill in front of you, met with success. Wolford fought in two directions until informed that his mountain howitzers were almost out of ammunition, then ordered a retreat after the last
“Colonels Dibrell and Morrison attacked the enemy in force at Philadelphia and captured 700 prisoners, 50 wagons loaded with stores, 6 pieces of artillery, 10 ambulances, and a lot of horses, mules, and other property.” — Adjutant General George W. Brent
The mountain howitzer was a short-barreled, large caliber cannon designed on a small scale so that pack animals could transport it. It was ideal for fast-moving cavalry units. The guns could go anywhere the horses and mules could go and were light enough for soldiers to move forward by hand during a fight. Two of the six mountain howitzers captured at the Battle of Philadelphia are in private collections.
Sweetwater to Knoxville, 1864 Courtesy Library of Congress
Col. Frank L. Wolford Courtesy Library of Congress
Col. George G. Dibrell Courtesy Sam Davis
Mountain howitzer on carriage Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 40.769′ N, 84° 24.143′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Tennessee, in Loudon County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Jaynes Street, on the right when traveling south on Church Street. Click for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Philadelphia United Methodist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 408 Church Street, Philadelphia TN 37846, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Affair at Philadelphia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tennessee Meiji Gakuin High School 1989-2007 (approx. 5.6 miles away); Loudon County Courthouse (approx. 5.7 miles away); Sgt. Mitchell W. Stout (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Tennessee Overhill Experience (approx. 6.5 miles away); Sweetwater Depot (approx. 6.5 miles away); Loudon Railroad Bridge (approx. 7 miles away); The Great Craighead Cave (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 94 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.