Madisonville in Monroe County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Monroe County Courthouse
Monroe County was established 1819; Named in honor of President James Monroe.
From 1819-1830 the Courthouse was in private homes.
The first courthouse was built on this site in 1830 and burned in 1833.
The second courthouse was built in 1834 and was burned by Federal troops during the Civil War in 1864.
The third courthouse was completed in 1868 and condemned and demolished in 1896.
The fourth and present courthouse was completed and dedicated on May 15, 1897.
Location. 35° 31.203′ N, 84° 21.802′ W. Marker is in Madisonville, Tennessee, in Monroe County. Marker is on College Street south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 College Street, Madisonville TN 37354, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War Comes to Madisonville (here, next to this marker); In Memory of Those Who Served (within shouting distance of this marker); John Crawford Vaughn (within shouting distance of this marker); Estes Kefauver (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Old Federal Road The Great Craighead Cave (approx. 4 miles away); Lost Sea (approx. 4.1 miles away); Sweetwater Depot (approx. 7.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madisonville.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.