The Western Maryland Rail Road Station at Glyndon was built in 1895 of Baltimore County white marble with a red tile roof. Destroyed by fire on December 24, 1903, the building was replaced in 1904 with the present brick structure. On June 7, 1957, the last passenger train operated from this station and the station was closed for business on the 31st of December, 1966. Today this building is owned and maintained by dedicated community citizens and serves as the town Post Office.
National Register of Historic Places
Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties
First Historic District of Baltimore County
Location. 39° 28.506′ N, 76° 49.184′ W. Marker is in Glyndon, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Railroad Avenue south of Butler Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Railroad Avenue, Glyndon MD 21071, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glyndon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emory Grove (approx. 0.4 miles away); “Buffalo Soldiers” (approx. 0.9 miles Colonel William Norris (approx. one mile away); John and Margaret Reister (approx. one mile away); Oldest High School in Baltimore County (approx. one mile away); Nicholsonís Manor (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hannah More Academy (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Glyndon.
Also see . . .
1. History of Glyndon, Maryland. (Submitted on April 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Glyndon National Register Historic District Info. (Submitted on April 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Western Maryland Railroad Historical Society. (Submitted on April 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.