Cheektowaga in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Underground Railway Station
Sterling Ely, and his brother,
L. Sheldon Ely, both Abolitionists,
operated an Underground Rail-
way Station, between the years
1850 and 1863.
At least 26 escaping black
slaves were housed in a double-
floored barn, located on this
site, during their flight to
freedom, in Canada.
Erected 1969 by Town of Cheektowaga.
Location. 42° 53.61′ N, 78° 44.029′ W. Marker is in Cheektowaga, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Como Park Boulevard and Indian Road, on the right when traveling west on Como Park Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7 Indian Road, Buffalo NY 14227, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bellevue (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Toll Gate (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Original Site of Forks Hose Company #2 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Buffalo Creek Indian Reservation North Boundary (approx. 2 miles away); Earliest Church Bennet Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Jack Berry's Town (approx. 2.8 miles away); Christian Metz Home (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cheektowaga.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.