Huttonsville in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1965 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 38° 43.028′ N, 79° 58.635′ W. Marker is in Huttonsville, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on U.S. 219 just north of U.S. 250, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. It is at the driveway to Tygart’s Valley Presbyterian Church. Marker is in this post office area: Huttonsville WV 26273, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Huttonsville (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Huttonsville (approx. half a mile away); Army Headquarters 1861 / Huttonsville (approx. half a mile away); Old Brick Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Elkwater / Col. J. A. Washington (approx. 6.7 miles away); Camp Elkwater (approx. 6.7 miles away); U.S. Homestead (approx. 7.2 miles away); Behind the Parapet (approx. 8.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Huttonsville.
More about this marker. The marker face is parallel to the roadway, making it difficult to spot from a moving car.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for Francis Asbury. Asbury became a local lay preacher for Methodist meetings at age 18. At age 22, John Wesley appointed him as a traveling preacher. His boyhood home still stands and is open as a museum in West Bromwich, England. In 1771 he volunteered to travel to America. When the American War of Independence broke out in 1776, he was the only Methodist minister to remain in America. Within the first 17 days of being in the colonies, he had preached in Philadelphia and New York. During the first year he was Wesley’s assistant and preached in 25 different settlements. In 1780, he met the freedman "Black Harry" Hosier, a meeting Asbury considered "providentially arranged". Hosier served as his driver and guide and, though illiterate, memorized long passages of the Bible while Asbury read them aloud during their travels. He eventually became a famous (Submitted on April 9, 2015.)
2. Wikipedia entry for Tygarts Valley Church. “The church measures 61 feet by 31 feet and features a 105 foot tall spire. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.” “The current building, dedicated in 1883, replaces the original building, known as the Old Brick Church, or the Brick Church. The Brick Church was destroyed by Union Forces during the Civil War, who wanted (and needed) the bricks for their winter encampment on nearby Cheat Mountain. There is a historical marker on Cheat Mountain identifying the site of the winter encampment and documenting the use of the bricks from the church. The Brick Church sat on a knoll south of Huttonsville, on land that is now surrounded by the W. Va. State Correctional Center.” (Submitted on April 9, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.