Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Springfield in Robertson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Guarding Springfield

The Federal Occupation

 
 
Guarding Springfield Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 24, 2013
1. Guarding Springfield Marker
Inscription. Early in the war, townswomen met at the Henry H. Kirk house, just north of here, to sew uniforms and blankets for Confederate soldiers after Kirk bought sewing machines and patterns in St. Louis, Missouri. When the 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry hoisted the Stars and Stripes in Springfield on March 25, 1862, however, the Federal occupation began and shaped everyday life here for the rest of the war.

Pvt. William Thomas of the 9th Pennsylvania wrote in his diary that he “camped on a Hill looking over the town, name of hill-pulltight.” The Federals constructed a fortified camp here to observe the city and protect the Edgefield and Kentucky Railroad. A line of earth-works was built from the fort’s north side to Sulphur Fork Creek, and another line extended a mile from the south end of the camp. Union soldiers also manned railroad blockhouses at Baker’s Station, the Ridgetop Trestle, the Dry Creek Trestle (Greenbrier), Sulphur Fork Trestle and the Red River Blockhouse No. 1 near Adams. The Federal troops guarded the town spring and confiscated firearms from local citizens, including the tools of local gunsmith Philip Anglin.

The occupying forces confiscated what they needed. At an abandoned Confederate base, Camp Cheatham near Cedar Hill, soldiers recalled: “(We) tore down Houses that was used by the Secesh
Guarding Springfield Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 24, 2013
2. Guarding Springfield Marker
for Commissary and Hospital (and) used the boards to floor our tents.” By August 1864, Col. Thomas J. Downey and the 15th U.S. Colored Infantry were stationed here and guarded the town and its valuable railroad line until the end of the war.

(captions)
Kirk House - Courtesy Robertson County Archives
15th PA Cavalry Camp - Courtesy Robertson County Archives
 
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 36° 30.452′ N, 86° 52.813′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Tennessee, in Robertson County. Marker is on South Brown Street south of 6th Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springfield TN 37172, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Springfield (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tennessee Light and Power Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robertson County World War II Tree Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robertson County World War II Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robertson County Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robertson County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robertson County Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Robertson County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Springfield.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement