Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glen Rock in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Item Building / Bixler's

 
 
Item Building / Bixler's Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 30, 2015
1. Item Building / Bixler's Marker
Inscription.

In 1884, Nathaniel Z. Seitz built the 4 Hanover Street section of this building to serve as the new home for Glen Rock's newspaper, the Item, of which he was editor from 1871 to 1886. In 1892, Dr. George P. Yost, editor from 1886 to 1893, built the 6 Hanover Street section and moved the Item into the new section while operating his pharmacy from 4 Hanover Street.

In 1897 William O. Bixler began a business which developed into something which almost defies description in a few words. He rented the left side, put in a pool table, and promised his customers cigars, tobacco, and good order. Later, he offered confections, baseball items, magazines, newspapers, a soda fountain, peanuts and more. Bixler bought the building in 1910, and ran the business until 1935 when his son, Roye, took over.

After M. L. Kapp, editor from 1898 to 1932, relocated his newspaper / printing office in 1921, Bixler moved the billiard parlor from the left side into Kapp's space on the right and made an ice cream parlor where the billiard parlor had been.

Bixler's provided its visitors with good times and memories, from inside the store or from "Bixler's Bench", which came out in the spring and sat along the side of PeoplesBank. Bixler's closed in 1970, operating from this location for 73 years.

"Keep 'em on the table"
Item Building / Bixler's Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 30, 2015
2. Item Building / Bixler's Marker

 
Erected 2012 by Glen Rock Historical Preservation Society, PeoplesBank, Geiple Funeral Home and Glen Rock American Legion.
 
Location. 39° 47.576′ N, 76° 43.841′ W. Marker is in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is on Hanover Street west of Manchester Street (Pennsylvania Route 216), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Hanover Street, Glen Rock PA 17327, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First National Bank (a few steps from this marker); Cold Spring Hotel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trains, Grains, and More Trains (about 700 feet away); Creek and Rail (about 700 feet away); The Original Glen Rock Carol Singers (about 700 feet away); Roland Forrest Seitz (about 700 feet away); Glen Rock Auditorium (about 800 feet away); The Glen Rock Woolen-Flour & Feed Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Glen Rock.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Item at Chronicling America (Library of Congress). (Submitted on April 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Glen Rock, Pennsylvania. (Submitted on April 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. CommunicationsEntertainmentIndustry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement