“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ramona in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Verlaque House (1886)

Verlaque House (1886) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 31, 2015
1. Verlaque House (1886) Marker
Inscription. Theophile Verlaque (1823-1913), a French immigrant, was a successful San Diego entreprenuer, saloon keeper, vintner and real estate speculator.

Verlaque was a friend of Bernard Etcheverry, a French Basque immigrant, who by 1880 owned 16,700 acres of the original Santa Maria Rancho land grant and had a thriving rancho. Verlaque and Etcheverry decided that a store and post office could be a successful venture. Verlaque's son Amos purchased two acres from Etcheverry along the stage and freight wagon road connecting San Diego and Julian. The younger Verlaque built a store and post office (1883) and the town of Nuevo (later Ramon) was born.

Verlaque decided to build a country home reminiscent of the homes of his youth in southern France and his many years spent living near the French community of St. Genevieve, Missouri. He had the home erected next to his son Amos' merchantile.

The Verlaque House is a rare example of traditional French Provincial architecture in the Western United States. The home is built on a 2 foot thich fieldstone foundation with 18 inch adobe walls, has a 45 degree truncated hip roof, an elevated veranda surrounding the house and a basement wine celler with 7ft. ceilings and a ramp for wine barrels.

This home was continuously owned by Verlaque descendents up until 1962 when
Verlaque House (1886) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 31, 2015
2. Verlaque House (1886) Marker
it was purchased by Leona Ransom who wanted the home restored and preserved as a museum. In 1984, the Ransom family donated the home to the Ramona Pioneer Historical Society and it is now the centerpiece of the Guy B. Woodward Museum.
Erected 2011 by The Ramona Pioneer Historical Society, by the Ancient and Hohorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, John P. Squibob Chapter #1853.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 33° 2.711′ N, 116° 51.8′ W. Marker is in Ramona, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 645 Main Street, Ramona CA 92065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Theophile Verlaque House (here, next to this marker); Ramona Town Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); An Incident of the Mexican War (approx. 7.6 miles away); San Pasqual (approx. 7.9 miles away); San Pasqual Battlefield (approx. 7.9 miles away); Dearborn Memorial Park (approx. 10.6 miles away); DJ Ranch Formerly: Kent Farm (approx. 10.8 miles away); City of Poway Veterans Park (approx. 11.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ramona.
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement