Norton in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Norton
†††††First homes are said to have been built by Dr. W.W. Mitchell and Les Trimmier. High school was established in 1906. Early institutions included several churches and a Masonic lodge.
Erected 1970 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3613.)
Location. 31° 52.229′ N, 100° 7.563′ W. Marker is in Norton, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 383 and Eastland Street, on the right when traveling north on Road 383. Click for map. Marker is at southeast corner of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Norton TX 76865, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Townsite of Marie (approx. 4.8 miles away); Maverick (approx. 5 miles away); W.H. Brown Poe Chapel (approx. 7.3 miles away); Site of Old Communities of Mazeland and Wilmeth (approx. 7.4 miles away); Bronte (approx. 9.8 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 9.9 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 9.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Norton.
Also see . . . Norton, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on April 14, 2015.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.