Near Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(About 8 miles south)
Only settlement founded in John Charles Beales' ill-fated Rio Grande colony of 1834-1836. Beales (1804-1878) -- empresario of 70,000,000 acres in present Southern and Western Texas and New Mexico -- was Texas' largest known land king. In 1833 he and a partner brought 59 settlers here to colonize a town to be named for Beales' Mexican wife. Indian raids and drought soon took their toll, but the death blow came in 1836. As the group fled the Mexican Army during the Texas Revolution, Comanches killed all but 7 of one party. This ended the town's existence.
Erected 1970 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1243.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
Location. 29° 20.15′ N, 100° 32.114′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is on U.S. 90, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. This marker is just west of Pinto Creek at a roadside rest where it is comfortably and safely accessible. Marker is in this post office area: Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U.S. Army Signal Corps Building (approx. 7 miles away); Staff Officers' Quarters Carver School Grounds (approx. 7 miles away); Adjutant's Quarters (Quarters #20) (approx. 7.1 miles away); Seminole Indian Scouts' Cemetery (approx. 7.1 miles away); Commanding Officer's Quarters (approx. 7.1 miles away); Officers' Row Quarters (approx. 7.1 miles away); Married Officers' Quarters 8-9 (approx. 7.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Brackettville.
More about this marker. The location of the marker has its own historical significance. Long before this site became a Texas Highway Department picnic area it was a regular overnight stop in the 1850s for wagon trains enroute to California on the Lower Military Road across west Texas. Many a traveler drank here from the cool waters of Pinto Creek.
Regarding Dolores Townsite. The sparse remains of the Dolores townsite are on private land aside Las Moras Creek about 8 miles southeast of the rest area. Only a few outlines of stone foundations are still visible.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 97 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.