Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery

Montgomery County

 
 
Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 21, 2015
1. Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery Marker
Inscription.
Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery is Montgomery County's 22nd cemetery listed in the prestigious Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Rev. James McLemore, Electious Thompson, Arnold Edwards, and E. Jeter founded Old Elam Baptist Church on June 19, 1819. Although founded by a white congregation, for its first 46 years the church and cemetery were integrated. In 1865, the deed for the church and 10 acres including the cemetery were passed to the church's African American members.
The oldest graves date back to June 17, 1820. One grave belongs to a person born in South Africa in 1817 who was brought to America as a slave in 1823 and remained here until her death. The cemetery is diversified and holds the earthly remains for early settlers, slaves, sharecroppers, American and Confederate soldiers, educators, preachers, and successful businessmen and women. This cemetery provides powerful insights about the diligence and commitment of our ancestors. The Alabama Historical Commission listed this cemetery in the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register on March 19, 2013.
 
Erected 2014 by the Old Elam Missionary Baptist Church.
 
Location. 32° 24.952′ N, 86° 13.986′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery
Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 21, 2015
2. Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery
County. Marker is at the intersection of Gunter Park Drive and Cong W L Dickinson Drive (County Road 21), on the right when traveling west on Gunter Park Drive. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2526 Cong W L Dickinson Drive, Montgomery AL 36109, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gunter Annex / Gunter Basic Flying Training School (approx. mile away); Corporal Vernon L. Burge (approx. 1.2 miles away); Operation Allied Force (approx. 1.2 miles away); Vietnam Service Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Operation Eagle Claw (approx. 1.2 miles away); Operation Noble Eagle (approx. 1.2 miles away); Army Air Corps Enlisted Pilots (approx. 1.2 miles away); Khobar Towers Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Montgomery Advertiser photo gallery of dedication of marker. (Submitted on April 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. African AmericansCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Old Elam Missionary Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 21, 2015
3. Old Elam Missionary Baptist Church
View of marker looking east on Gunter Park Drive. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 21, 2015
4. View of marker looking east on Gunter Park Drive.
View of marker looking west on Gunter Park Drive. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 21, 2015
5. View of marker looking west on Gunter Park Drive.
Old church belfry and old cornerstones. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 21, 2015
6. Old church belfry and old cornerstones.
Note misspellings on older cornerstones.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement