Fairmont in Fillmore County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fairmont Army Air Field
The 1,980-acre field began as a satellite of the Topeka Army Air Base. Early in 1943 the name was changed to Fairmont Army Air Field. A short-lived training school gave way to the 451st Bombardment Group, which arrived in September 1943. Other groups were the 485th, 504th, 16th, 98th, 467th and 489th. Hangers of various sizes housed B-24s, B-17s, and B-29s. Extensive concrete runways and other structures were built. The field had barracks for nearly 6,000 officers and enlisted men. Its 350-bed hospital was the largest in Nebraska.
In September 1944 Lt. Col. Paul Tibbets visited Fairmont and selected the 393rd Bomb Squadron of the 504th to join the 509th Composite Group at Wendover Field, Utah. This group dropped both atomic bombs on Japan.
The field was declared surplus in the spring of 1946.
Erected by Nebraska State Historical Society, the Fillmore County Historical Society and the 451st Bombardment Group (H) Ltd., Robert M. Karstensen, Sr., President. (Marker Number 360.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 35.819′ N, 97° 35.671′ W. Marker is in Fairmont, Nebraska, in Fillmore County. Marker is on County Road H 0.1 miles east of U.S. 81, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairmont NE 68354, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairmont Creamery Company (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Fairmont Army Air Field (approx. 3.4 miles away); 1879 Exeter 1979 (approx. 8.2 miles away); In Memory of the Sons of Strang (approx. 12.6 miles away); The Ohiowa Auditorium (approx. 14.7 miles away).
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 28 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?