Smyrna in Rutherford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Sam Davis Home
The Davis home was built around 1820 by Moses Ridley. Charles Davis purchased the home in 1845 and renovated it in 1850. The home was originally a two-story, four-room house with a central hallway. Mr. Davis added a two-story portico with four columns and a pediment which imitated the Greek Revival style of Southern plantation houses. To accommodate his growing family, an ell with four rooms and a central chimney was added to the rear of the house.
The Sam Davis home remains much as the same as when Sam lived here. The floors, doors, windows, and most of the woodwork are original to the house. The nine-room home is located on a 168 farm where cotton is still grown. The house and grounds were purchased by the State of Tennessee in 1927, and opened for tours in 1930, by the Sam Davis Memorial Association.
All images from Sam Davis Memorial Association Collection.
Location. 35° 59.35′ N, Click for map. The marker is a few yards in front of the home. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1399 Sam Davis Road, Smyrna TN 37167, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Outbuildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Slave Cabins (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sam Davis Gravesite (about 400 feet away); The Sam Davis Boyhood Home (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Sam Davis Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Wheeler's Raid around Rosecrans (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Jefferson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dewitt Smith Jobe (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Smyrna.
Also see . . . Sam Davis Home and Museum. (Submitted on October 7, 2013.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.