Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
Looking down the canyon you can see the deep bay where Admiral Rodney’s ships anchored during the years 1778-1782. The ships were able to lie at anchor in the deep water close to the island, and seamen where employed in hauling cannon and heavy equipment up this gunslide.
A line was run up from the top of the mast to the top of the gunslide on land. The cannon were winched up using anchor winches, and large spars served as triposds to help hoist the heavy guns and carriages up to the emplacements.
Heavy guns were brought from Rodey’s disabled line-of-battle ship Fame in April, 1780, and the seamen were given double rations of grog to encourage them on the job!
Look for the platform and the wall at the top with cobblestone where the pulley was operated.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. 14° 5.587′ N, 60° 57.891′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. Click for map. This marker is on Pigeon Island National Landmark, on the path up to Signal Peak.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lime Kiln (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Ridge Battery (about 150 meters away); C.O.'s Quarters Musket Redoubt (about 210 meters away); Soldiers' Quarters (about 210 meters away); Two-Gun Battery (about 210 meters away); Josset's House (about 240 meters away); U.S. Signal Station (approx. 0.2 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.