Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
Oﬃcers’ Quarters and Mess
Officers’ Quarters and Mess 1824
Pigeon Island National Landmark Interpretation Centre 1993
The only existing structural elements from the original Officers’ Quarters and Mess, built in 1824, are the foundation walls and arches below the main floor level, and three structural walls on the main level, two to the east and one to the west of the Interpretation Centre.
The present-day building incorporates these structures and is based on the original plans. The hall which houses the Interpretation Centre is built on the site where the east wing started. This area was originally divided into three apartments for subalterns. To the north and to the south are reconstructions of the original colonnades.
The east wing continued with a large two-chambered apartment for a captain, with a private section of the colonnade looking east and connecting with the south colonnade. This area has been reconstructed as the office, shop and reception area.
The open are to the west of the Interpretation Centre was the site of the main salon of the Officers’ Mess, with the staircase to the south and an open terrace to the north. To the west of this was a west wing, identical to the east wing.
Erected by Santa Lucia National Trust.
Location. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Officers' Kitchen (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers' Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Two-Gun Battery (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); C.O.'s Quarters (about 180 meters away); Lime Kiln (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Gunslide (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Ridge Battery (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Josset's House (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.