LaFayette in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
The Georgia General Assembly authorized constructing an academy in Walker County in 1835. Chattooga Academy derived its name from the name of the area's original settlement, Chattooga or Chattoogaville, and was later called LaFayette Academy. Completed in 1836 on land donated by Spencer Stewart Marsh, Chattooga Academy is believed to be Georgia's oldest remaining brick schoolhouse. Built for about $800, the building replaced a log cabin school and consists of one large room on each floor with a chimney at each end. The bricks were manufactured in Rock Spring.
Before Lafayette Presbyterian Church was built south of the school, area residents organizing the church met in the school and other area buildings until 1848. That church, which stands at the intersection of South Main Street and Withers Street, served as a hospital after the Battle of Lafayette.
In the 1920s, the building was renovated and became a meeting place for Lafayette women's clubs for many years. The windows and doors were replaced and the interior remodeled extensively during the renovation; however, the building's exterior appears much as it did before the alterations. By 1925, the building was named after John B. Gordon, who had attended the academy as a child and went on to serve as a Confederate general, U.S. senator and Georgia governor. The William Marsh Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated the building as John B. Gordon Hall on Nov. 15, 1936. While attending the school, Gordon and his brother roomed with the Marsh family
The LaFayette Area Chamber of Commerce located in the building in 1971. In the 1990s, the City of LaFayette used the building as an office and community meeting facility. The building is listed as Chattooga Academy on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail. (Marker Number #1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 34° 42.532′ N, 85° 16.838′ W. Marker is in LaFayette, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street (Georgia Route 1) north of Wardlaw Street. Click for map. This marker has been paired with another marker, both of which are covered by a canopy. It is located in a community park and is situated midway between the Chattooga Academy and the Marsh House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 North Main Street, La Fayette GA 30728, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Marsh House (here, next to this marker); Headquarters Army of Tennessee (within General LaFayette (within shouting distance of this marker); Walker County (within shouting distance of this marker); John B. Gordon Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of LaFayette (within shouting distance of this marker); The Army of Tennessee (within shouting distance of this marker); African American Pioneers of the Marsh-Warthen-Clements House (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in LaFayette.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.