Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Erfurt, Thuringia, Germany
 

Fish Market 22 / Coffee Mountain House

Fischmarkt 22 / Haus zum Kaffenberg

 
 
Fish Market 22 / Coffee Mountain House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 26, 2013
1. Fish Market 22 / Coffee Mountain House Marker
Inscription. 1310 Erste schriftliche Erwähnung als „das Anwesen, durch das man zur Synagoge geht” Besitzer ist der Jude Abraham, Sohn des David. Einen Teil des Grundstückes hatte bereits von dieser Zeit die Erfurter jüdische Gemeinde als Zugang zur Synagoge gekauft.

1349 Nach dem Pogrom an den Erfurter Juden eignete sich die Stadt das Anwesen and und erhob in der Folge von den jeweiligen Besitzern eine jährliche Zinsabgabe.

1430 Aus der Zeit nach 1430 stammen die ältesten Hölzer des Hauses, die sich im einigen Bereichen des Ergeschosses erhalten haben.

1510 Erstmalige Nennung des Hausnamens „zum großen und kleinen Kaffenberge”, Hauseigentümer war zu dieser Zeit der Händler Claus Grammenberg, der auch das Biereigenrecht besaß.

1532 wurden die Hölzer gefällt, mit denen Grammenberg das Haus so umbauen ließ, wie es sich heute darstellt.

1650 wohnte hier im Hause der Orgelmacher Ludwig Compenius, der Erbauer der Orgeln in der Michaelis- und Predigerkirche.

1748 ließ der Stadthauptmann Johann Wilhelm Planert das „Haus zum Kaffenberg” nach barocken Vorstellungen mit repräsentativem Treppenhaus und Stuckdecken in allen Räumen neu gestalten. Er erwarb auch den Syngogenbau hinter seinem Haus.

1820 kaufte der Gastwirt Zacharias
Fish Market 22 / Coffee Mountain House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 26, 2013
2. Fish Market 22 / Coffee Mountain House and Marker
Zacher das Anwesen und richtete hier ein Kaffehaus ein.

1890 wurde im Obergeschloss das prächtige „Kaiserzimmer” eingebaut und ausgestaltet.

1926 führte der damalige Besitzer Willi Anders den Gaststättennamen „Feuerkugel” ein.

2002 wurde das denkmalgeschützte „Haus zum Kaffenberg” von Frau Jutta Heidemann erworben und als Wohn- und Geschäftshaus hochwertig saniert und restauriert.

English translation:
1310 The first written record as "the property through which one goes to the synagogue" and its owner the Jew Abraham, son of David. By that time a part of the plot had been bought by the Erfurt Jewish community as access to the synagogue.

1349 After the pogrom of the Erfurt Jews, the city appropriated the property, and consequently charged annual taxes on the respective owners.

1430 The oldest wood in the house, which has been preserved in some ground-floor locations, comes from the period after 1430.

1510 First mention of the house named "for the large and small coffee mountains." The owner at that time was the trader Claus Grammenberg, who also had the right to sell beer.

1532 Grammenberg rebuilt the house as it looks today, using pleasant looking wood.

1650 The organ maker Ludwig Compenius, the builder of the Michaelis and Prediger Church organs, lived in this house.

1748 The city's captain, Johann Wilhelm Planert, redesigned the "Coffee Mountain House" with Baroque details in all rooms, including artistic examples in the stairwell and stucco ceilings. He also acquired the Synagogue behind the house.

1820 The innkeeper Zacharias Zacher bought the property and established a coffee house here.

1890 The magnificent "Emperor Room" was designed and built on the upper level.

1926 Then owner Willi Anders opened the "Fireball" restaurant.

2002 The landmark "Coffee Mountain House" was purchased by Mrs. Jutta Heidemann and restored and redeveloped as a high-quality residential and commercial building.

 
Location. 50° 58.706′ N, 11° 1.772′ E. Marker is in Erfurt, Thuringia. Marker is at the intersection of Fischmarkt and Rathausgasse, on the right when traveling west on Fischmarkt. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Fischmarkt 22, Erfurt, Thuringia 99084, Germany.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Krämerbrücke / Merchant's Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Adam Ries (within shouting distance of this marker); [Haus] zum Schwarzen Horn / The Black Horn (within shouting distance of this marker); Rathaus / City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Sparkasse am Fishmarkt / Savings on Fish Market (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Zum Güldenen Krönbacken (about 90 meters away); Zum Roten Ochsen / The Red Ox (about 120 meters away); Laasphe-Kapelle / Laasphe Chapel (about 120 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Erfurt.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 575 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement