Collierville in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Wigfall Grays
4th Tennessee Infantry Co. C
On April 15, 1861, eighty men from Collierville organized the Wigfall Grays to oppose President Lincoln’s call for volunteers to invade the South. The company was named in honor of Senator Louis T. Wigfall who was well known for his eloquent speeches advocating the Southern cause of states' rights. The women of Collierville made uniforms for the men and presented them with a handsewn Confederate Flag made of silk. On August 17, 1861, the men of the company swore their oath of allegiance and formally joined the Confederate Army as Company C, 4th Tennessee Infantry.
The Wigfall Grays fought in some of the bloodiest battles of the War for Southern Independence, including Shiloh, Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Kennesaw, Dalton, Resaca, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville.
After the Company was paroled on May 1, 1865 in Greensboro, North Carolina, the men of the Wigfall Grays returned to Collierville to find many of their homes destroyed and their property confiscated. Despite the hardships inflicted by the northern occupation army, these men worked diligently as farmers and merchants to rebuild their homeland. Descendants of these brave men still live in Collierville today.
Erected 1998 by Sons of Confederate Veterans, Wigfall Greys Camp 1560.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 35° 2.537′ N, 89° 39.885′ W. Marker is in Collierville, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on North Rowlett Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 64 Nort Rowlett Street, Collierville TN 38017, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Collierville (here, next to this marker); Collierville, Tenn. (within shouting distance of this marker); Collierville United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); Presbyterian Church of Collierville (about 600 feet away); Chalmers's Collierville Raid (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Collierville (about 800 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Collierville.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 384 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. 2. submitted on , by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.