Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
Although the heyday of Pigeon Island as a British base in the Caribbean was in the late eighteenth century during the Rodney period, the garrison continued to be manned until 1861.
Built originally in 1778, this kitchen consisted of four or five rooms and was rebuilt in 1824 after being damaged in the hurricane of 1817. The original eighteenth-century stone coursing remains, and the old fireplaces can be seen in the rooms.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. 14° 5.606′ N, 60° 57.722′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. Click for map. This marker is near the entrance to the Pigeon Island National Landmark.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Officers' Quarters and Mess (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers' Quarters (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Two-Gun Battery (about 150 meters away); C.O.'s Quarters (about 150 meters away); Lime Kiln (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Gunslide (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Ridge Battery (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Josset's House (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.