San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The German-English School Buildings
1858 – German–English school founded by "The Lateiner”, a group of German intellectuals.
1859 – Purchase of 60 varas on Alamo St. Cornerstone laid Nov. 10 for one-story limestone building on NE corner, dedicated to the poet Friedrich Von Schiller: architect G. Friesleben, builder Johann H. Kampmann.
1860 – One-story building added on SE corner.
1869 – Two-story limestone building on NW corner dedicated to scientist Baron von Humboldt.
c. 1873 - Two 2-story brick buildings added to complete permanent structures on campus.
1897 – Property acquired by F. Groos & Mrs. Hulda Groos; half interest sold to G.W. Brackenridge.
1903 – Property conveyed to San Antonio Independent School district, public schools on site;
1903-23 - George W. Brackendridge Grammar School.
1923-25 - Thomas Nelson Page Junior High School.
1925-51 - San Antonio Junior College established under supervision of University of Texas, providing affordable higher education during the Depression. College moved to larger campus 1951.
1953 – Through preservation efforts of San Antonio Conservation Society, title transferred from SAISD
1964 – Building restored for headquarters of Hemisfair, San Antonio’s 1968 World’s Fair: Allison Peery, architect.
1979 – Plaza Nacional Corp. leased site from city.
1982 – Restoration and landscaping of building and grounds supervised by Ford, Powell & Carson, architects, to create Plaza San Antonio Conference Center.
Erected 1992 by Alumni of San Antonio Junior College.
Location. 29° 25.211′ N, 98° 29.308′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on South Alamo Street south of East Nueva Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commemorating (a few steps from this marker); John W. Smith (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Halff House (about 500 feet away); St. Philip's College (about 500 feet away); Herrera House (about 500 feet away); Bolivar Hall (about 500 feet away); Kitchen (about 600 feet away); Little Church of La Villita (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.