“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Goodlettsville in Sumner County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Bowen Plantation House

Bowen Plantation House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 18, 2014
1. Bowen Plantation House Marker
Inscription. The Bowen Plantation house was built in 1787 by Captain William Bowen, a veteran of Lord Dunmore’s War, the French and Indian War and the American Revolutionary War who brought his family to the area in 1783.

The Bowen Plantation House is the oldest brick house in Middle Tennessee. The bricks were formed and fired from the plentiful clay on the premises. The limestone foundation was quarried from rich sources in the area.

After being sold out of the family, the Bowen house went through a series of ownerships and was used as a tenant house until approximately 1960. After that time it was abandoned due to its deplorable condition.

In 1975, the Goodlettsville American Revolution Bicentennial Commission decided to restore the home. The Bowen-Campbell House Association was formed to carry out the project that was funded with federal and state grants along with private donations. In 1977, the structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

During the restoration process, any materials salvageable were restored and reinstalled. Today, about 70% of the woodwork is original. Almost all the floorboards are original. All of the exterior doors were restored and one door still retains the original lock. The house was opened for tours in 1980.
Location. 36° 19.298′ 

Bowen Plantation House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 18, 2014
2. Bowen Plantation House Marker
N, 86° 41.35′ W. Marker is in Goodlettsville, Tennessee, in Sumner County. Marker is on Caldwell Drive. Click for map. The marker is located on the grounds of Moss-Wright Park. Marker is in this post office area: Goodlettsville TN 37072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mansker Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); First Long Hunters (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mansker's Station (about 500 feet away); Mansker’s First Fort (approx. 0.7 miles away); William Bowen House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Davidson County/Sumner County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Goodlettsville Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Casper Mansker (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Goodlettsville.
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
Bowen Plantation House image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 18, 2014
3. Bowen Plantation House
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 64 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement