“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Portland in Sumner County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Cold Spring School

Site of Camp Trousdale

Cold Spring School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
1. Cold Spring School Marker
Inscription. In May 1861, the Tennessee General Assembly passed legislation to raise and equip the Provisional Army of Tennessee and train the units at camps throughout the state. Camp Trousdale was established—initially at Richland (present-day Portland)—as the main concentration point for companies formed in Middle Tennessee. The camp was named for former governor William Trousdale of Gallatin. Gen. Felix K. Zollicoffer (1812-1862) was its first commander, with his headquarters at the home of Thomas Buntin near the present Maple Hill Cemetery.

Because of a lack of potable water, Camp Trousdale moved in June to an area of wide rolling fields near the one-room Cold Spring School that Thomas Baskerville had constructed in 1857. The school served as a regimental hospital. Soon more than 6,000 men were drilling in the camp, and some of the sick were treated at the school building. Later, Camp Trousdale relocated to present-day TGT Road, again because of water contamination. The only barracks in the state that housed Confederate troops were built there, then razed in February 1862 before Union forces arrived and occupied the area.

Federal troops under the command of Lt. Col. Gustavus Tafels, 106th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment, subsequently fortified the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, constructing Fort Mitchell
Cold Spring School Markers image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
2. Cold Spring School Markers
to guard the nearby trestle. Fort Smith, named for Col. George P. Smith, 129th Illinois Infantry, served as a temporary railroad to receive and ship Union supplies by wagons to Nashville.

“We are getting on very well; except for the measles and mumps, our men would be in fine health. So far as my regiment is concerned, there is perfect order and discipline.” — Col. Robert Hatton, 7th Tennessee Infantry, June 21, 1861

Gen. Felix Zollicoffer Courtesy Pat Meguiar
Cold Spring School - Courtesy Pat Meguiar
Scroll flask and .36 caliber Navy Colt bullet mold found at Camp Trousdale site Courtesy Pat Meguiar
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 34.998′ N, 86° 30.524′ W. Marker is in Portland, Tennessee, in Sumner County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Portland Boulevard and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Portland Blvd, Portland TN 37148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Cold Springs (here, next
Cold Spring School image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
3. Cold Spring School
to this marker); Zollicoffer's Headquarters (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Cold Spring School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Smith (approx. 3.1 miles away); Duval-Groves House (approx. 4.3 miles away); Triangular Jog (approx. 4.6 miles away in Kentucky); Tennessee Maneuvers World War II (approx. 4.7 miles away); Civil War in Tennessee (approx. 5.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Portland.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 54 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement