Portland in Sumner County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Historic Cold Springs
ca. 1857 - 1933
Howard McDowell, former student, mobilized efforts to move and restore the building. Structure donated by Jim & Bill McGlothlin. School moved into Richland Park in September, 1975.
Official agreement signed by City of Portland, McGlothlin families, and Highland Rim Historical Society, November 1, 1975.
Location. 36° 34.997′ N, 86° 30.522′ W. Marker is in Portland, Tennessee, in Sumner County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Portland Boulevard and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Portland Blvd, Portland TN 37148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cold Spring School (here, next to this marker); Zollicoffer's Headquarters (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Cold Spring School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Smith (approx. 3.1 miles away); Duval-Groves House (approx. 4.3 miles away); Triangular Jog (approx. 4.6 miles away in Kentucky); Tennessee Maneuvers World War II (approx. 4.7 miles away); Civil War in Tennessee (approx. 5.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Portland.
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.