Hyde Park in Dutchess County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library
The building in front of you is the nationís first presidential library. FDR was deeply involved in every facet of the libraryís development. He envisioned the library as a place where the public could examine the evidence of his Presidency and draw their own conclusions about his legacy. He chose a Dutch Colonial style of architecture for the building to represent a sense of endurance. The library opened on June 30, 1941.
FDR inspects the beginnings of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library on September 23, 1939, (above) with his grandaughters Sara and Kate.
FDRís original sketch for the library (right)
The library houses important documents like the rough draft of the “Day of Infamy” speech (far right). FDR wrote this speech, December 7, 1941, shortly after the bombing of Pearl Habor.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 41° 46.091′ N, 73° 56.065′ W. Marker is in Hyde Park, New York, in Dutchess County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Albany Post Road (U.S. 9) and FDR Drive, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Located on the grounds of the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4097 Albany Post Road, Hyde Park NY 12538, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The World Mourns (within shouting distance of this marker); Home by the Hudson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Springwood (about 300 feet away); The heart of Franklin Roosevelt (about 300 feet away); Preserving a Presidentís View (about 600 feet away); Hyde Park RR Station (approx. 1.5 miles away); Those Who Served (approx. 1.5 miles away); Hyde Park World War II Korean War Monument (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hyde Park.
Also see . . . Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt, National Park Service. (Submitted on May 9, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.