Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry / Lillie Mills
Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry
Dyer Pearl, Thomas Parkes and Joseph L. Campbell established a manufacturing operation for the production of cotton and woolen goods on this 3.5 acres site in 1825. The first steam powered loom in the state was housed in the three-story building measuring 50 ft long and 40 ft wide and contained a 50 horsepower steam engine. By 1850, James Plunkett became a partner in the business, which employed 30 men and 17 women with a capital investment of $35,672. The adjacent iron foundry had the capacity to make castings for ploughs, stoves, andirons, gin and mill machinery. It is believed the fluted columns at the courthouse were molded here in 1857. In December 1862, the factory and foundry were destroyed by U.S. troops under Brigadier Gen. David Stanley.
Joshua B. Lillie established the Franklin Flouring Mill on this site in 1869. C.H. Corn and W.F. Eakin purchased the mill in 1909. In 1924, grain valued at $400,000 was used to produce over 70,000 barrels of “Franklin Lady Flour” and other products, which were distributed primarily in southern markets. By 1926, several improvements were made including the construction of large concrete grain elevators at a cost of $60,000 with a storage capacity
Erected 2010 by Williamson County Historical Society in Memory of Samuel M. Fleming.
Location. 35° 55.529′ N, 86° 51.93′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on 1st Avenue South 0.1 miles south of East Main Street (U.S. 31), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Temple (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Factory Store (about 500 feet away); Ewen Cameron (about 500 feet away); Original St Philip Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); John H. Eaton (about 500 feet away); St. Philip Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street / "Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood (about 600 feet away); Union Headquarters (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 415 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.