Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
McGavock Confederate Cemetery
Labor of Devotion
This is the largest private military cemetery in the United States in terms of the number of burials. John and Carrie McGavock maintained the cemetery for the rest of their lives, largely by themselves. Already well known in their efforts in tending the Confederated wounded at Carnton immediately after the Battle of Franklin, Carrie McGavock became even more famous for attention to the cemetery. In 1890, John L. McEwen Bivouac No. 4, United Confederate Veterans, appointed a committee to maintain the cemetery and raise funds to replace the wooden headboards with the stone markers now in use. In 1911 Mrs. Winder McGavock and the new owner of Carnton, Mr. and Mrs. W.D. Shelton deeded the cemetery to the trustees of the chartered McGavock Confederate Cemetery. The United Confederate
Battlefield graves - Courtesy Library of Congress
John McGavock Courtesy Carnton Plantation
Carrie McGavock Courtesy Carnton Plandation
McGovock Confederate Cemetery, 1867 - Courtesy Carnton Plantation
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans, and the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 54.28′ N, 86° 51.707′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Carnton Lane 0.3 miles south of Brandon Drive, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1345 Carnton Lane, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Cemetery (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named McGavock Confederate Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Tennessee Association, (within shouting distance of this marker); Carnton Plantation McGavock Confederate Cemetery (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); McGavock Family Cemetery (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Carnton Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Willow Plunge (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
Also see . . . Carnton Plantation & Battlefield. Battle of Franklin Trust. (Submitted on October 6, 2013.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 84 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 5. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 6, 7. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. 8, 9. submitted on , by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.