Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Original St Philip Catholic Church
Built In 1871
An Italian priest, Father James L. Orengo, a Dominican, arrived in Franklin in 1871 at a time when the Catholic population had grown considerably due to an influx of Irishmen who had come to work on the railroad and settled in the area. Work on the church coincided with Father Orengo’s arrival. All of the work was done by the parishioners themselves. In fact, bricks for the building were formed and fired in the churchyard. Intending to remain here, Father Orengo purchased property adjacent to the church, but his health began failing and he was called back to Italy. The land was sold to the Sheas, a Catholic family in Franklin.
After Father Orengo’s departure, Father Marron oversaw the final stages of work and was assigned by Bishop Freehan of Nashville as the first pastor of St. Philip. The church was dedicated on November 6, 1871 with a High Mass celebrated by the Bishop.
Location. 35° 55.548′ N, 86° 52.032′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on East Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John H. Eaton (here, next to this marker); St. Philip Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); Masonic Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Factory Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Ewen Cameron (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry / Lillie Mills (about 500 feet away); Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street / "Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 191 times since then. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.