“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near West Blocton in Bibb County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Piper / Coleanor

Piper Marker image. Click for full size.
By Julia Frost, September 11, 2010
1. Piper Marker
Side 1

The town of Piper was established in 1901 a half mile northeast of here by the Little Cahaba Coal Company, named for Oliver Hazzard Perry Piper, a partner of industrialist Henry F. DeBardeleben. Two coal mines were opened in 1901 and 1903. The first was sealed in 1935 due to fire. Piper was one of the larger mining towns in the Cahaba Coal Field reaching greatest employment in 1914 with 432 miners and related workers. The Piper-Coleanor High School operated from 1931-1940. After World
Wanted: Photo of Coleanor Marker image. Click for full size.
2. Wanted: Photo of Coleanor Marker
War II, a third mine was opened. Beginning in 1947 it was operated by the Shaw & Tutwiler Corporation. Coal was first mined in the area by N. H. Thompson and sons, W.H. and Lewis, who had moved here from Hinds County, Mississippi during the Civil War. The last coal was mined on a limited scale in the 1950s.

Side 2

The Blocton-Cahaba Coal Company was incorporated in September 1900 and soon opened a coal mine while founding the town of Coleanor. Principal stockholders included H.C. Reynolds, W.B. Reynolds, E.D. Reynolds and J.B. Wadsworth. Adjacent though separated by a deep ravine, the towns of Piper and Coleanor were connected by a railroad trestle and a swinging bridge. In 1915, 200 miners and other workers were employed at Coleanor. Both towns were occupied by the Alabama National Guard in 1934 during a strike organized by the United Mine Workers Union. The Coleanor Post Office operated from 1901 to 1942. Following World War II, the Coleanor mine was closed and nothing remains of either town that once boasted a combined population of over 2,500 people.
Erected 2000 by Former Residents of Piper & Coleanor, The Cahaba Trace Commission.
Location. 33° 5.116′ N, 87° 2.662′ W. Marker is near West Blocton, Alabama, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Cahaba River Drive (County Road 24) and Piper Road, on the right when traveling south on Cahaba River Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Blocton AL 35184, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belle Ellen (approx. 3.1 miles away); Blocton / Blocton Coke Ovens (approx. 4.2 miles away); West Blocton, Alabama (approx. 4.7 miles away); Six Mile Male & Female Academy Site (approx. 5.8 miles away); Site of Six Mile Male And Female Academy (approx. 6 miles away); Absalom Pratt House (approx. 6 miles away); Bibb Naval Furnaces Brierfield Furnaces (approx. 6 miles away); Bibb Furnace (approx. 6.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in West Blocton.
Categories. Industry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama. This page has been viewed 932 times since then and 135 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama.   2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement