Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
In 1780 HMS Cornwall was damaged and Admiral Rodney requested that her deck timbers be used in construction of the two-gun battery on Pigeon Island.
This gun battery was to protect the island from a sea attack from the north and to prevent a landing at De Longueville Bay, directly across the bay. The powder magazine to the left has been damaged, possibly by the brigands in 1795.
Look for Martinique in the distance. Also look for the rock out in the bay with holes cut in the side, as if blasted out, which was apparently used for target practice.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. 14° 5.648′ N, 60° 57.788′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Soldiers' Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Officers' Quarters and Mess (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Officers' Kitchen (about 150 meters away); C.O.'s Quarters (about 180 meters away); Gunslide (about 210 meters away); Lime Kiln (about 240 meters away); Ridge Battery (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Josset's House (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.