Perote Bullock County
This community, settled during the mid-1830s, was first called Fulford’s Cross Roads, then Missouri Cross Roads when a post office was established here in 1846. The name Perote, adopted in 1850 was suggested by veterans returning from the Mexican War (1846-48), who remembered a citadel in Mexico by that name. Incorporation followed in 1858.
Early settlers in the area, who came primarily from the Carolinas and Georgia, included the following families: Sellers, Crossley, Blue, Locke, Peach, Hixon, Culver, Johnson, Adair, Ardis, McCall, Rumph, Brabham, Miles, Cameron, Starke, Wilson, Walker and Ivey. Methodist and Baptist churches were among the first structures in the community, around which much of the social life centered, including “protracted meetings” – revivals.
Perote grew rapidly in the 1850s so that by 1860 the community was thriving with several doctors, stores, a carriage factory, a Masonic lodge, and a school. At the beginning of the War Between the States (1861-65), the school numbered about 150 students. Many of the young men from the school served in the Perote Guards, organized in 1859 as war clouds gathered. They went off to war as part of the 1st Alabama Infantry Regiment with uniforms and a flag handmade by the women they left behind.
The community’s fortunes fell following the war as
Erected 2003 by The Bullock County Historical Society and the Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 31° 56.831′ N, 85° 42.333′ W. Marker is in Perote, Alabama, in Bullock County. Marker is on U.S. 15/29, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perote AL 36061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Samuel Sellers Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Three Notch Road (approx. 2.7 miles away); Aberfoil Community (approx. 8.5 miles away); Mt. Pleasant Cemetery (approx. 9.8 miles away); Sardis Baptist Church, Cemetery, and School (approx. 10.4 miles away); Mt. Hilliard Methodist Church (approx. 12.4 miles away); Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 12.6 miles away); a different marker also named Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 13.2 miles away).
Also see . . . San Carlos Fortress, in Perote, Veracruz, Mexico mentioned in the marker. (Submitted on May 15, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, Mexican-American •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 105 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.