Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ottawa in National Capital Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

The Commissariat

L’Intendance

 
 
The Commissariat Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 7, 2014
1. The Commissariat Marker
Captions (English / French): 1. Parliament Buildings from Nepean Point showing entrance to Rideau Canal Locks, circa 1877-1880. / Édifices du Parlement et entrée des écluses du canal Rideau vus de la pointe Nepean, vers 1877-1880. 2. Watercolour, C.W. Jefferys, circa 1898. / Aquarelle par C.W. Jefferys, vers 1898. 3. View of first eight locks; in the background, Parliament Buildings under construction, circa 1850. / Vue des huit premières écluses; à l’arrière-plan, on peut voir les édifices du Parlement en construction, vers 1850.
Inscription. English:
“Plenty of spirits, and provisions of all sorts, with beds, blankets, mits, caps, shoes, etc. shall always be at hand, in the Government store, to answer whatever demands may come for such articles by the people on the work, so that everyone may be kept strong, healthy and cheerful.” - John Mac Taggart, Overseer of Works for Colonel By.

Built in 1827 under the supervision of Thomas MacKay, the Commissariat is the oldest existing stone building in Ottawa and the first permanent structure built on the Rideau Canal. The exterior has been restored to the 1830-1856 period.

This fine old building provided 125 years of practical service, first as the depot for the storage of tools, goods and supplies needed by the Royal Engineers of the British military to construct the Rideau Canal, then as a support building for canal operations. In 1951 it was restored for use as a historical museum.

The Commissariat played an integral role in the successful completion of the Rideau Canal and the development of Eastern Ontario. As well, the complex of buildings and locks which made up the Entrance Valley to the Rideau Canal provided a focal point for what would become the City of Ottawa.

French:
«Le magasin du gouvernement doit toujours être bien approvisionné
The Commissariat Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 7, 2014
2. The Commissariat Marker
en spiritueux et en produits de toutes sortes, avec des lits, couvertures, moufles, coiffures, chaussures, etc., afin de répondre aux besoins des travailleurs et de les garder forts, en santé et de bonne humeur.»
- John MacTaggart, Surveillant des travaux pour le colonel By.

Construite en 1827 sous la supervision de Thomas MacKay et première structure permanente du canal Rideau, l’Intendance est le plus vieux bâtiment en pierres d’Ottawa. Son extérieur a été restauré pour représenter la période de 1830 a 1856.

Ce beau bâtiment a été utilisé pendant 125 ans, d’abord comme dépôt d’outils, de biens et d’approvisionnements pour le Royal Engineers, le corps de l’armée britannique charge de la construction du canal Rideau, puis comme bâtiment de soutien pour l’exploitation du canal. Il a été rénové en 1951 pour servir de musée.

L’Intendance a joué un rôle majeur dans la réalisation du canal Rideau et dans le développement de l’Est de l’Ontario. De plus, les bâtiments et les écluses situés a l’entrée du canal Rideau ont préfigure l’establishment de la ville d’Ottawa.
 
Erected by Parks Canada / Parcs Canada.
 
Location. 45° 25.489′ N, 75° 41.732′ W. Marker is in Ottawa, Ontario, in National Capital Region. Marker is on Canal Lane
The Commissariat Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 7, 2014
3. The Commissariat Marker
, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ottawa, Ontario K1A, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rideau Canal National Historic Site of Canada (within shouting distance of this marker); Lieutenant Colonel Charles-Michel d’Irumberry de Salaberry, CB (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rideau Waterway (within shouting distance of this marker); Thayendanegea (Joseph Brant) (within shouting distance of this marker); Sappers’ Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rideau Canal (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Nicholas Sparks (about 150 meters away); Lotta Hitschmanova, C.C. (about 180 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Ottawa.
 
More about this marker. This building is located beside the Rideau Canal north of the Elgin - Rideau Streets Bridge. Access to the canal and The Commissariat is by-way-of a pedestrian pathway called Canal Lane.
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
The Commissariat, 1827 plaque, located inside the building image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 7, 2014
4. The Commissariat, 1827 plaque, located inside the building
This structure, the oldest exiting stone building in Ottawa, was used as a storehouse, office and treasury during the construction of the Rideau Canal (1826-32) under the direction of Lieutenant-Colonel John By, R.E. Its superb masonry and solid construction are typical of the stonework done b Scottish masons along the Rideau Canal and, at a later date, on private homes in eastern Ontario. In 1854, the building was turned over to the Canadian government and, until 1951, was used successively by various departments concerned with the maintenance of the canal.
Edifice de l’Intendance, 1827 plaque, located inside the building image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 7, 2014
5. Edifice de l’Intendance, 1827 plaque, located inside the building
Cet édifice, le plus ancien à Ottawa, servit d’entrepôt et de bureau de la trésorerie pendant la construction du canal Rideau (1826-1832) sous la direction du lieutenant-colonel John By, R.E. Son excellent maçonnerie et sa solidité son caractéristiques du travail accompli à cette époque par les maçons écossais le long du canal Rideau et, plus tard, sur certaines résidences de l’est l’Ontario. En 1854, les autorités britanniques cédèrent au gouvernement canadien cet édifice qui, jusqu’en 1951, abrita successivement divers organismes chargés d’assurer l’entretien du canal.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement