Tuscumbia in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Jackson's Military Road
After the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, General Andrew Jackson proposed this road as a shorter and improved route for military movements between Nashville and New Orleans. The U.S. War Department authorized Jackson to appoint an engineer and procure equipment on August 15, 1816 and Congress appropriated $5,000 to begin construction. The Military Road was built by about 300 American soldiers over a three-year period at a construction cost of $300,000. When completed on May 17, 1820, the new road was 483 miles long and 200 miles shorter than the old Natchez Trace route. Crossing the Tennessee River at Florence, it entered Sheffield (first known as York Bluff) at “Jackson Hollow.” The road then passed near Atlanta and Columbia Avenues as it moved southwest. The Military Road entered Tuscumbia on Dickson Street and passed near this site.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
From this location, the Military Road continues south and crossed Spring Creek, then ascended Colbert Mountain, and passed just west of present-day Littleville. It proceeded to Good Spring in Franklin County, and on through Russellville. Jackson Highway (old U. S. No. 43), built in the 1920s, following the same basic route. The nearby single-pen hewn-log cabin is a vestige of Tuscumbia's
Erected by Sponsored by Colbert County Historical Landmark Foundation and Cemetery Restoration Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 43.807′ N, 87° 42.139′ W. Marker is in Tuscumbia, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is at the intersection of South Dickson Street and East 7th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Dickson Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscumbia AL 35674, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sacred Tears (within shouting distance of this marker); Cold Water Falls (within shouting distance of this marker); Petrified Conifer Tree / Petrified Lycopod Tree Stump (about 400 feet Tuscumbia Big Spring (about 400 feet away); History of Tuscumbia, Alabama (about 600 feet away); American Indian History (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Tuscumbia.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 2,552 times since then and 175 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.