Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Amherst in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Transit Road Church

C. 1854

 
 
Transit Road Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 8, 2015
1. Transit Road Church Marker
Inscription.
[photo] Church on original site.
This church, originally Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, was constructed in approximately 1854, when the first baptism and marriage were recorded. It was located on Transit Road near Muegel Road, north of the Transit Valley Country Club, until the 1960s, when the congregation constructed a new church south of that site. The church cemetery remains on Transit Road at the original location.

This typical country church served the German-speaking Lutheran residents of East Amherst, Clarence and Swormville. Services were held in German until the early 20th century. The words over the doorway are the German translation for "Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church."

The women of the church held fundraisers for several years to pay for the stained glass windows. All the stained glass windows in this building, except for the altar window, are the original 19th century windows that were made by the Frohe Art Glass Company of Buffalo.

More than 100 years later, this family-owned firm also created the present altar window as a modern adaptation of the original which the congregation removed for use in its new building. The design of the alter window, "Christ Knocking - The Light of the World" was based on a painting by the English artist William Holman Hunt. The cost to duplicate this
Transit Road Church & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 8, 2015
2. Transit Road Church & Marker
window was prohibitive. A photo of the original wondow is displayed next to the altar.

Only four front pews are original to the building. Unfortunately the Museum has been unable to acquire the rest of the original pews.

Woodworking details are typical of German churches of this time. The altar railing was replaced in 1996. Earlier photographs and marks on the floor showed the details and placement of the original railing.

The 1870s pump organ was made by the Ann Arbor Organ Co. of Ann Arbor, Michigan. The steeple bell, a replacement of the original, could be heard for miles and was rung before services and to alert the surrounding community to emergencies. Note the gold crown at the top of the steeple.
 
Erected by Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village; marker sponsor: Uniland Corp.
 
Location. 43° 4.995′ N, 78° 43.784′ W. Marker is in Amherst, New York, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Tonawanda Creek Road and New Road. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3755 Tonawanda Creek Road, Buffalo NY 14228, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bigelow House (within shouting distance of
North Side image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 8, 2015
3. North Side
this marker); Sweet Home Common School No.15 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Williamsville School No.9 (about 500 feet away); The Erie Canal at Amherst (about 700 feet away); Pendleton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grand Erie Canal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Controlling Water in the Erie Canal (approx. 3.4 miles away); Town of Clarence - Swormville (approx. 3.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Amherst.
 
Regarding Transit Road Church. Transit road is NY Route 78, and is the transit surveyed by Joseph Ellicott, agent for the Holland Land Company.
 
Also see . . .  Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village. (Submitted on May 18, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Rear image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 8, 2015
4. Rear
South Side image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 8, 2015
5. South Side
Transit Road Church Display image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 8, 2015
6. Transit Road Church Display
Inside the museum. It reads: Transit Road Church. This church was originally located at Transit Road, near whatis now Transit Valley Country Club. German-speaking residents living in the East Amherst and Clarence area built it in 1854.

As the congregation grew on the 1960s, a new church was built farther down on Transit Road. This building was then donated to the Museum. It was moved to the Museum's current site via Transit Road.

To prepare this building to move, workers removed the steeple and secured the stained glass windows by enclosing them with plywood. Even with the steeple removed the building was to high to fit under utility lines. Electric lines were dropped ot lifted up over the church's roof.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement