“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berlin, Germany — Northeast German Plain (The European Plain)

The Legend of Hitler’s Bunker

Mythos und Geschichtszeugnis »Führerbunker«

Hitler’s Bunker Marker image. Click for full size.
By Donald W. Olson, August 20, 2014
1. Hitler’s Bunker Marker
[English text:]
The Legend of Hitler’s Bunker
Some of the greatest legends of our time are intertwined with the so-called Fuehrer’s Bunker. At the same time, this bunker was just one of many in the government quarter around Wilhelmstraße and did not even have the capacity of a typical public air raid shelter. In hindsight its size has quite often been mis- or overrepresented.

Chronology 1935 – 1942
During the rebuilding of a diplomats reception hall in the Old Chancellery in 1936/37 the firm Hochtief AG built the first “air raid cellar” (ceiling thickness: 1.60 m, wall thickness: 1.2 m) for a cost of 250,000 Reichsmark. Hitler used this shelter during the first British bombing raids on Berlin that started in August of 1940.

18th of January 1943
After the final loss of German control over their airspace Hitler gave the architect Albert Speer (initial planning began in 1942) the assignment that, “since the air raid shelter under the Reichs Chancellery only has a ceiling thickness of 1.60 m, a new bunker is to be built in the garden with new dimensions (3.5 m Ceiling, 3.5 – 4.0 m Wall thickness) but with the same interior size as the existing bunker. [Architect Karl] Piepenburg should be in charge of construction.” Construction
Wide View Looking Northeast image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, August 19, 2014
2. Wide View Looking Northeast
Behind the marker is an open parking area, and beyond that a modern apartment complex located roughly in the direction where the Old Reich Chancellery once stood.
workers from the Hochtief AG began the foundation trench about 10 m deep in the Reichs Chancellery’s garden in front of the reception hall.

23rd of October 1944
The completion of the bunker was registered with the Central Exchequer of the Reich. “Construction project B 207”, as the bunker was coded, was supposed to be able to withstand the strongest known allied bombs with its thick reinforced concrete ceiling, and gobbled up 1.35 million Reichsmark on construction costs. The interior dimensions for both the “Fore-Bunker” (old) and the “Fuehrer’s Bunker” were about 15 m by 20 m wide and a bit over 3 m high.

About a metre thick layer of so-called “smash-cover” was added to reinforce the ceiling, however the construction was not completed before the end of the war, and as a result the ventilation tower next to the garden entrance was never fully finished. A second cone-shaped tower served as the exhaust, however this tower was misinterpreted in many post war publications as an observation and defensive tower, together with a machine gun stand.

19th of March 1945
From the bunker Hitler issued the Nero order, the destruction of the very means of existence of the civilian population. With this pointless order Hitler displayed his contempt for his supposed “Beloved
Looking West Along In den Ministergärten image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, August 19, 2014
3. Looking West Along In den Ministergärten
The back of the marker is visible in the middle distance. The New Reich Chancellery was located to the left of the modern apartment building seen here.

20th of March 1945
In the garden of the Reichs Chancellery about 50 “men” assembled, a mixed bag of Hitler Youth and members of the SS division “Frundsberg”, who in their desperation had attacked approaching Soviet tanks. In the presence of cameramen and photographers from the Wochenschau News, who documented the “Fuehrer’s” last public appearance, Hitler awarded these men with the Iron Cross for their heroic deeds in the service of the defence of Berlin. Afterwards, Hitler descended the steps into the bunker. Wrongly, this event was dated for a long time on April 20th, 1945.

20th of April 1945
Hitler “celebrated” his 56th birthday in the Fuehrer’s Bunker. For the annual reception, the most important National Socialist functionaries of the severely shrunken Reich gathered to congratulate their “Fuehrer”.

30th of April 1945
During the afternoon, Hitler and his wife Eva (born Braun), who had married not long before in the bunker, committed suicide. Their bodies were then burned in the garden in front of the bunker entrance. The Goebbels’ children died at the hand of their mother shortly afterwards. As the next day began, Joseph Goebbels (the Propaganda Minister, recently named Chancellor) and his wife also killed themselves. With that, WW2
Cutaway Drawing of the Two Bunkers image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, August 20, 2014
4. Cutaway Drawing of the Two Bunkers
Click on image to enlarge. The English legend is at the top left.
in Europe, with its over 55 million dead, basically came to its end.

5th of December 1947
Soviet pioneers blew up the “Fuehrer’s Bunker”. Both of the ventilation towers and the entrance structure collapsed, the interior walls were destroyed, and the ceiling was moved 40 cm by the force of the blast.

Summer 1959
Further detonations followed, then the premises was levelled, the entrances were filled in, the reinforced concrete was covered under a mound and the area was turned into parkland.

1961 – 1974
With the building of the Berlin Wall the area became part of the border area. After the discovery of a forgotten street tunnel on the west side of the Brandenburg Gate in 1967, the East German State Security (Stasi) began an inspection of the site around the former New Reichs Chancellery. During this the “Upper-Bunker” and “Fuehrer’s Bunker” were opened, surveyed and photographed and then resealed.

1985 – 1989
Along the former Otto-Grotewohl-Strasse, the government of the GDR (German Democratic Republic) erected apartment complexes, for which the excavation of rubble up to 7 m deep was necessary. The roof of the “Fuehrer’s” Bunker was removed, however the floor and outer walls remained because of the high cost of their removal. After
Locations of Various Berlin Bunkers on a Modern Map image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, August 20, 2014
5. Locations of Various Berlin Bunkers on a Modern Map
Red outlines mark the bunkers that served the following: (1) Adlon Hotel, (2) Ministry of Ammunition, (3) Goebbels’ villa, (4) Ministry for Food and Agriculture, (5) fortified underground power plant, (6) Foreign Ministry, (7) Fuehrer’s bunker and upper bunker, (8) underground garage, (9) waterworks, (10) and (11) New Reich Chancellery, (12) Reich Transportation Ministry, (13) Kaiserhof Hotel, (14) Air Ministry.
the difficult work of removing the ceiling, the remaining space was filled in with gravel, sand and debris. Above a parking lot and green space was laid out, which remains today more or less unchanged.

“The Downfall” (Der Untergang), a film from Munich’s Constantin Films (Director: Oliver Hirschbiegel), arrived in the theatres and created a buzz around the subject of the last days of the war and especially the happenings in the bunker. A number of members of the Berlin Underworlds’ Association (Berliner Unterwelten e.V.) acted as consultants. According to their information and recreated plans, Hitler’s Bunker was reconstructed in the Bavaria Studios at a scale of 1:1.

The “Fuehrer’s Bunker”
In December of 1947, the “Fuehrer’s Bunker” was detonated. A fierce bang ripped through the air, a violent mushroom of smoke hung over the detonation site and covered the streets in a cloud of dust and smoke. Barely two weeks prior, there appeared an article in the “Telegraf”, which provided the last impressions of this eerie structure:

“Forty steps lead down into the bunker that lays 8 m below the surface, with its 4.2 m thick reinforced concrete ceiling. Even as a layman, one recognizes that even bombs of the heaviest calibre would have been ineffective
Looking North Along Gertrud-Kolmar-Strasse image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, August 19, 2014
6. Looking North Along Gertrud-Kolmar-Strasse
Two people are studying the marker.
here. Jet-black, oily, sludgy water still stands 20 cm high. Two dull flashlights just barely light the rooms. High rubber boots protect against the water. We stumble and slip forwards, feeling our way against the slick walls. The way ahead isn’t secure. Dirt, wires and junk lie in heaps under the water. Suddenly one of the Swiss is lying underwater, he ripped his rubber boots. Also here there are names scratched into the walls, mostly in Russian writing.

At the end of the 30 x 30 m bunker, the Swiss go to have a look at the Exhaust system that will cause problems for the firemen, when they finally pump out the water. The bunker’s rooms, in which, contrary to all expectations, there is still very good air, have been emptied of almost everything. Not even the toilet bowls and light switches are to be found. A few gasmask filters float around. Heavy doors hide treacherous lock handles under the opaque water. The rooms, that adjoin the main hallway on the left and right, are not especially large and lack doors. One can recognise the room in which Hitler spent his last days by the broken-off sliding door that he could use to divide his room in half. A smashed sink lies in the corner. At the switchboard a few steel shelves are lying around. A coat rack looks lonely in the corner. Two hot water storage tanks that are covered in rust and mildew block the door [...] that leads up and out. Directly next to the entrance there is a vertical shaft with an iron ladder that leads up to an observation tower in the shape of a sugarloaf which is next to the main entrance.

I climb back up the steps. Under the words: ‘the Fuehrer lives’ someone has scratched in: ‘completely hysterically’. How right he is!”

“Vierzig Stufen unter der Stahlbetondecke — das blieb übrig: Zertrümmertes Waschbecken im bombensicheren ‘Führerbunker’” In: “Telegraf”, 25th of November 1947. It deals with a completely authentic description of the “Fuehrer’s bunker” after the war. All the given details can be checked, therefore the document is provided in its full length.


[German text:]
Mythos und Geschichtszeugnis »Führerbunker«
Um den sogenannten Führerbunker ranken sich bis heute die größten Legenden. Dabei war dieser Tiefbunker nur einer unter vielen im Regierungsviertel rund um die Wilhelmstraße und hatte nicht einmal die Kapazität eines gewöhnlichen öffentlichen Luftschutzbunkers. Im Nachhinein wurde er oft in seiner Größe verklärt und überinterpretiert.

Chronologie 1935 – 1942
Beim Neubau eines Diplomaten-Empfangssaals der Alten Reichskanzlei errichtet die Firma Hochtief AG 1935/36 einen ersten »Luftschutzkeller« (Deckenstärke: 1,60 m., Wandstärken 1,20 m). Die Baukosten liegen bei 250.000 Reichsmark. Benutzt wurde dieser Schutzraum von Hitler während der ersten britischen Luftangriffe auf Berlin ab August 1940.

18. Januar 1943
Nach dem endgültigen Verlust der Lufthoheit gibt Hitler das Projekt (erste Vorplanungen stammen bereits vom Mai 1942) bei Albert Speer in Auftrag: »Da der Luftschutzbunker in der Reichskanzlei nur eine Deckenstärke von 1,6 m hat, ist im Garten sofort ein Bunker nach den neuen Abmessungen (3,5 m Decke, 3,5 – 4,0 m Seiten), aber mit den selben in wandigen Abmessungen wie der jetzt vorhandene »Führerbunker« zu bauen. [Architekt Carl] Piepenburg soll die Baudurchführung übernehmen.« Bautrupps der Firma Hochtief AG beginnen auf der Gartenfläche der Reichskanzlei vor dem Empfangssaal mit dem Aushub einer rund zehn Meter tiefen Baugrube.

23. Oktober 1944
Der Reichshauptkasse wird die Fertigstellung des Bunkers gemeldet. Der als Bauvorhaben B 207 kodierte Schutzraumkomplex soll mit seinem dicken Stahlbeton den stärksten bekannten alliierten Bombentypen standhalten können und verschlingt insgesamt 1,35 Millionen Reichsmark an Baukosten. Die gesamte Innenausdehnung beträgt sowohl beim Vor- als auch beim »Führerbunker« etwa 15 auf 20 Meter, die Innenhöhen liegen bei etwas über drei Metern.

Die Abschlußdecke wird von oben nochmals mit einer sogenannten Zerschellschicht um einen Meter verstärkt. Bis Kriegsende können die Arbeiten allerdings nicht vollständig fertiggestellt werden. So wird der Belüftungsturm direkt neben dem Gartenzugang nur noch zur Hälfte betoniert. Ein zweiter kegelförmiger Turm dient der Abluft, wird aber fälschlicherweise in verschiedenen Nachkriegspublikationen zum Beobachtungs- und Verteidigungsturm nebst MG-Stand uminterpretiert.

19.März 1945
Aus dem »Führerbunker« heraus erteilt Hitler den »Nerobefehl«, die Zerstörung sämtlicher Lebensgrundlagen der deutschen Zivilbevölkerung. In diesem völlig sinnlosen Befehl findet die ganze Verachtung für das von Hitler angeblich so heiß geliebte Deutschland seinen Ausdruck.

20. März 1945
Am 20. März 1945 nehmen im Garten der Reichskanzlei rund 50 »Mann« Aufstellung, eine versprengte Abordnung der Hitlerjugend und der SS-Division »Frundsberg«, die sich mit Verzweiflungstaten gegen die vorrückenden Sowjetpanzer hervorgetan haben. Sie werden von Hitler in Anwesenheit von Kameramännern der Wochenschau und Fotografen, die diesen letzten öffentlichen Auftritt des »Führers« dokumentierten mit dem EisernenKreuz für ihre »Heldentaten« bei der Verteidigung Berlins ausgezeichnet. Fälschlicherweise wird dieses Ereignis immer wieder auf den 20. April datiert.

20. April 1945
Hitler »feiert« im »Führerbunker« seinen 56. Geburtstag. Zur alljährlichen Gratulationscour versammeln sich noch einmal die wichtigsten NS-Funktionsträger des stark geschrumpften Reiches.

30. April 1945
Hitler und seine Frau Eva, geb. Braun, die er kurz zuvor noch im Bunker heiratet, begehen in den Nachmittagsstunden Selbstmord. Die Leichen werden im Garten vor dem Bunkerausgang verbrannt. Wenig später sterben die Goebbels-Kinder durch die Hand ihrer Mutter, danach verüben der Propagandaminister un von Hitler zum neuen Reichskanzler ernannte Joseph Goebbels und seine Frau Magda ebenfalls Selbstmord. Damit findet — zumindest auf Europa bezogen — der Zweite Weltkrieg mit über 55 Millionen Toten faktisch sein Ende.

5. Dezember 1947
Der »Führerbunker« wird durch sowjetische Pioniere gesprengt. Beide Belüftungstürme und das Zugangsbauwerk brechen auseinander, sämtliche Zwischenwände im Bunker werden zerstört, die Bunkerdecke durch die Wucht der Explosion um 40 cm verschoben.

Sommer 1959
Nach weiteren Sprengungen wird das Gelände eingeebnet, die Zugänge verschüttet und die Stahlbetontrümmer mit einem Hügel über erdet. Danach wird über der ganzen Fläche zunächst eine Grünanlage angelegt.

1961 – 1974
Mit Bau der Berliner Mauer wird das Areal des »Führerbunkers« zum Grenzgebiet. Nach der Entdeckung vergessener Straßentunnel (1967) under dem Tiergarten auf der Westseite des Brandenburger Tores beginnt die Staatssicherheit der DDR mit der Untersuchung des Geländes der ehemaligen Neuen Reichskanzlei. Dabei werden auch der Vor- und der »Führerbunker« geöffnet, vermessen und fotodokumentiert, danach aber wieder versiegelt.

1985 – 1989
An der Otto-Grotewohl-Straße (chem. Wilhelmstraße) werden neue Wohnkomplexe errichtet, für deren Fundamente Enttrümmerungen bis in eine Tiefe von sieben Metern stattfinden. Vom »Führerbunker« wird die Abschlußdecke abgetragen, Bodenplatte und Außenwände bleiben aufgrund der zu hohen Abrißkosten erhalten. Nach mühevollem Zertrümmern der Stahlbetondecke wird der verbliebene Hohlraum mit Kies, Sand und Schutt verfüllt, darüber ein Parkplatz und eine Grünfläche angelegt, die bis heute nur unwesentlich verändert wurden.

»Der Untergang« — ein Spielfilm der Münchener Constantin-Filmproduktion (Regie: Oliver Hirschbiegel) — kommt in die Kinos und hat die letzten Kriegstage in Berlin und vor allem die Ereignisse im »Führerbunker« zum Thema. Mehrere Vereinsmitglieder des Berliner Unterwelten c.V. wirken hierbei als Berater mit. So wird nach ihren Angaben und den von ihnen rekonstruierten Plänen in den Bavaria-Studios der Führerbunker im Maßstab 1:1 nachgebaut.

Der »Führerbunker«
Im Dezember 1947 wird der sogenannte Führerbunker gesprengt. Ein scharfer Knall zerreißt die Luft, ein gewaltiger Rauchpilz steht über der Sprengstelle und hüllt die Straßenzüge in eine Wolke von Staub und Rauch. Knapp zwei Wochen zuvor erscheint im »Telegraf« ein Artikel, der die letzten Eindrücke aus diesem schaurigen Bauwerk der Nachwelt überliefert:

»Vierzig Stufen führen hinab in den acht Meter unter der Erde gelegenen Bunker mit der 4,20 m starken Stahlbetondecke. Selbst als Laie erkennt man, daß selbst Bomben schwersten Kalibers hier wirkungslos geblieben wären, 20 cm hoch steht noch das tiefschwarze ölig-schmierige Wasser. Zwei matte Taschenlampen erhellen die Räume nur notdürftig. Hohe Gummistiefel schützen gegen das Wasser. Wir stolpern und rutschen vorwärts, tasten uns an den glitschigen Wänden entlang. Unsicher geht’s vorwärts. Dreck, Drähte und Gerümpel liegt haufenweise unter Wasser. Einer der Schweißer liegt plötzlich im Wasser, seinen Gummistiefel hat er sich zerrissen. Auch hier sind in die Wände Namen eingeritzt, meistens russische Schriftzüge.

An einem Ende des 30 x 30 m großen Bunkers gehen die Schweißer an die Beseitigung einer Entlüftungsanlage, die der Feuerwehr beim endgültigen Auspumpen Schwierigkeiten bereitet. Die Bunkerräume, in denen, entgegen aller Erwartungen, eine ganz gute Luft herrscht, sind auch bis aufs letzte ausgeräumt. Selbst die Toilettenbecken und Lichtschalter sind nicht mehr vorzufinden. Ein paar Gasmaskenfilter schwimmen umher. Panzertüren lauern gleich tückischen Fallen unter dem undurchsichtigen Wasser. An den Hauptgang stoßen links und rechts Räume, alle nicht sonderlich groß, Türen sind nicht mehr vorhanden. Das Zimmer, in dem Hitler seine letzten Tage verbrachte, erkennt man an einer herausgebrochenen Schiebetür, mit der er sein Zimmer in zwei Räume teilen konnte. Ein zertrümmertes Waschbecken liegt in der Ecke. In der Telefonzentrale stehen noch ein paar Blechregale herum. Ein Garderobenständer steht einsam in der Ecke. Die Tür, die [...] nach oben führte, ist durch zwei mit Rost und Schimmel überzogene Warmwasserspeicher versperrt. Dicht neben dem Eingang ein senkrechter Schacht mit einer Eisenleiter; sie endet in dem zuckerhutformigen Beobachtungsbunker neben dem Haupteingang.

Ich steige die Treppe wieder nach oben. Unter den Worten: »Es lebe der Führer« hat ein anderer: »Restlos hysterisch« gekritzelt. Wie sehr recht er hat!«

»Vierzig Stufen unter der Stahlbetondecke — das blieb übrig: Zertrümmertes Waschbecken im bombensicheren ‘Führerbunker’«. In: Telegraf, 25. November 1947. Es handelt sich um eine absolut authentische Nachkriegsbeschreibung des »Führerbunkers«. Alle wesentlichen Angaben sind überprüfbar. Daher ist das Dokument in voller Länge wiedergegeben.

Erected 2006 by Berliner Unterwelten e.V./Dietmar Arnold.
Location. 52° 30.757′ N, 13° 22.854′ E. Marker is in Berlin, Berlin. Marker is at the intersection of Gertrud-Kolmar-Strasse and In den Ministergärten, on the right when traveling north on Gertrud-Kolmar-Strasse. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pariser Platz (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Remains of the Berlin Wall (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Baudenkmal Berliner Mauer (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Topography of Terror (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); a different marker also named Baudenkmal Berliner Mauer (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Soviet War Memorial (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Checkpoint Charlie Site (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Max Planck (approx. one kilometer away). Click for a list of all markers in Berlin.
Regarding The Legend of Hitler’s Bunker. The bunker was located in the garden area behind both the Old Reich Chancellery (on Wilhelmstraße) and the New Reich Chancellery (on Voßstraße). In 1935, two years after becoming German chancellor, Adolph Hitler moved into a renovated section of the Old Chancellery. He had the New Chancellery built in 1938 as a more fitting and imposing symbol of the Third Reich, but he continued to use the Old Chancellery as a residence until the last few months of World War II, when he moved into the bunker.

The chancelleries and the bunker were located in what became the Soviet sector of Berlin, in East Germany, a few blocks northeast of the Berlin Wall. Within a few years the Soviets removed all traces of both chancelleries and leveled the ground over the bunker into a parking lot. Its exact location was not widely known until after the end of the Cold War and the reunification of Germany in 1990.
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesWar, World II
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 657 times since then and 299 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement